Can i get insured on a 1.4i

Options
I am first time driver, have driven a car before but that didnt have insurance on it. I want to buy a Citroen Saxo west coast 1.4i as my first car, it has 1.4 multipoint injection. So i was wondering would it be possible to get insurance on this and what companies would insure a first time driver?

Cheers
Charles J

Comments

• tab99_uk
    tab99_uk Posts: 162 Forumite
    Options
    try screen trade i just passed to i pay £720 tft on a clio 1.2 might be a bit more on a 1.4.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you will be able to get insured but it depends where you go, my mate just passed her test and got insured on a corsa sxi for £1130 with tesco, norwich union are usually good, but look in the back of max power mag they have pages of insurers for young drivers
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching
    Save the cheerleader, save the world!
  • iwanttosave_2
    iwanttosave_2 Posts: 34,292 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh the general rule is if your car is worth less than £500 just get tft, but if its more deffinatly get fully comp
  • maclean2
    maclean2 Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    hi - I would suggest you go for the pass Plus certificate as this can save you up to 30% on your insurance.And I can highly recommend https://www.dna-insurance.com for any first time driver.Tesco Direct Line Churchill and Privilege all will give Pass Plus discount but not online so you will need to telephone them.

Best of luck
  • talksoccer
    Options
    I live in Birmingham and one of the worst places of Birmingham. I was thinking of possibly doing the insurance on some other address, would this allow me?

Having injection on the car seems impossible to get insured on?

On a side note dont want to start a thread but its for a friend. He has an international licence and wants to drive around with for a few months while he is coming to the country, he has a british passport would this be possible. It is not a european licence, anyone know what companies would insure him on this too?
    Charles J
  • iwanttosave_2
    Options
    you can put it in another address but it would be pointless as they ask you where the car will be kept overnight.

According to mechanic OH, injection doesn't matter as most cars are injection nowerdays.

Don't want to give an answer to the last question as we are not 100% sure so don't want to mislead you
  • burbs_2
    burbs_2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    talksoccer wrote:
    I live in Birmingham and one of the worst places of Birmingham. I was thinking of possibly doing the insurance on some other address, would this allow me?

Having injection on the car seems impossible to get insured on?

On a side note dont want to start a thread but its for a friend. He has an international licence and wants to drive around with for a few months while he is coming to the country, he has a british passport would this be possible. It is not a european licence, anyone know what companies would insure him on this too?

I sell high performance sports cars and the injection on the car will not make too much of a difference to be honest with you. The best and easiest thing to do is try Elephant and Tesco. Try Confused.com to get an insight from a whole range of companies. Most of my younger customers go to Adrian Flux and Norwich Union and Tesco and they all seem to get good deals, although i dont sell Corsas. You can get insured on whatever car you want to, its whether you are willing to pay the price.

Lying to the insurance company about the address is a no no, it invalidates your insurance. Insurance companies try everything they can to get out of paying as it is, lie to them and thats heaven for them. Tell the truth and pay the price. I dont think it will be too much of a hefty price on a 1.4 to be honest. Try it mate
  • talksoccer
    Options
    I got one response but they just asked if it was 1.4 and they didnt have the option of 1.4i on there site. They gave me quote etc.

The car also was made in 1999, but they only gave the option of 1998 as thats one that car range was first made. So am i right in doing that

Also anyone know any sites that do insurances for international drivers (none European)

Thank You
    Charles J
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,261 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    talksoccer wrote:
    I got one response but they just asked if it was 1.4 and they didnt have the option of 1.4i on there site. They gave me quote etc.

The car also was made in 1999, but they only gave the option of 1998 as thats one that car range was first made. So am i right in doing that

Also anyone know any sites that do insurances for international drivers (none European)

Thank You

As has already been said if any of your details are wrong on your policy you will inalidate your insurance, also it is up to you to ensure the details are correct. If your quote is for a 1.4 and not a 1.4i then you must ask them to amend that. Also, if your car is a 1999 build then the insurers must have quoted for an entirely different car if it only showed up as 1998 in their data base, again it is up to you to make sure you get the details amended.

I don't know the answer to your final question, sorry.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • burbs_2
    burbs_2 Posts: 1,174 Forumite
    Options
    talksoccer wrote:

Thank You

For your final question i would get over to Honestjohn and ask there, they will know the answer instantly. The insurance, as said by Soolin, they must have quoted you for the wrong vehicle and you will have to ensure that they get it right. Do you know which car you want to buy? If so can you get the registraion number? Give them that and they will quote the exact car straight away. If you dont know the exact car you want just go on Autotrader, find the same vehicle you are intererested in, get the reg and give that to the insurance companies, they will give you a quote on that vehicle and that will be a rough guide for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure