Reverse Directory Enquiries

in Phones & TV
9 replies 13.9K views
Instead of asking one of the directory companies, for a number. Does anyone know how you find out the persons name from the number.

Or should I say if someone rings you up, you have the number, but who is it that calld you.
Does anyone know of such a service.

Ive 3 missed calls from a local landline, ive tried to call the number back but no-one is answering. So just wondering who it was
Thanks

Replies

• gt94sss2gt94sss2 Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Offering a service which translates someone's telephone number into a "name" is illegial in the UK.

Regards
    Sunil
  • Paul_VarjakPaul_Varjak Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Reverse Directory Enquiry searches are now illegal.

I believe several companies used to offer this service (including 192.com). But this was usualy achieved by the reverse software engineering of the BT DQ database available on CD-ROM.

I think BT felt it was a a breach of the copyright of their database and software but, to my knowledge, did not take any formal court action.

I think BT waited for OFTEL to stop reverse searches for any reason - whether it breached copyright or not.

You can of course use the dialling code (and the first few digits of the number) to narrow your search - using the book called BT COMPANION (if it is still available), but it seems you know it is local anyway.
  • thefirsthefirs Forumite
    686 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Curious how well harmonised we are throughout the EU when it comes to personal privacy issues. In France and some other EU countries you can be taken to court for infringing privacy by publishing or even taking a photo in a public place.

But if you want to trace the name and address of someone by their phone number, all you need do is visit http://www.infobel.com/france/wp/revsearch/default.asp and Robert est ton oncle!
  • I seem to recall that, in the EU, the Germans make the laws, the Spanish ignore them, the French read them - and then do the opposite and the British comply with them to the letter.
    30 years, 217 days!
  • sabelusabelu Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Cant get this to work.
    It pays to challenge
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably because you have posted on an old thread.

The consensus of opinion is you cannot reverse trace a phone number now.
  • FJSRiDERFJSRiDER Forumite
    155 Posts
    You can of course use the dialling code to narrow your search - using the book called BT COMPANION
    This might be of use - STD code finder.
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    what about an overseas number? Someone is ringing me from overseas.( i think) When I ring back the line goes dead.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • If it's a business phone then do a google search for that number. There are usually numerous 'reverse' listings for that company. If you can't get full information then you should have a start.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES