We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mercedez Windscreen crack..help!

taney
taney Posts: 733 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
Hi,

Desperately in need of urgent help...I have cracked my Merc windscreen and it needs to be immediately replaced as crack is quite large.Autoglass has given me a quote of 400pounds.I have got 3rd party insurance.I don't know what to do...can anyone plz suggest me where can I get it repaired at a reasonable cost.I would be extremely grateful.I live in Birmingham...any local suggestions would be highly appreciated?

tHANKS IN ADVANCE
«1

Comments

  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    You can't repair a crack, only replace the screen. Give Autowindscreens a call. You could get one second hand from a scrappies but you're still looking at over £100 for them to fit it for you.
  • Sponge
    Sponge Posts: 834 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    If AG have said it can't be repaired and needs replacing then it probably does. Be aware that a windscreen is a very important part of the structure of a vehicle and you shouldn't do anything 'on the cheap'.

    Short of suggesting looking in the Yellow Pages for other companies to get a quote off, I can't offer anything specific.

    I've had windscreens repaired and replaced due to chips and cracks, but in all cases it was handled by my insurance company under my fully comp policy.
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    worth trying to see if its possible to remove the windscreen without damaging it.
    just fill out the enquiry form.

    http://www.mercman.net/
    ...work permit granted!
  • can you take out fully comp insurance, surely that would be cheaper than the £400 cost
  • Claim it on your insurance, that's what it's there for. It'll cost you £50-£100 and your NCB will not be affected.
  • Claim it on your insurance, that's what it's there for. It'll cost you £50-£100 and your NCB will not be affected.

    the op said they only have 3rd party, i dont htink they can claim
  • taney
    taney Posts: 733 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    yeah,i have only 3rd party insurance so I can't claim.If i upgrade to fully comp only then I can claim but i think it will be a fraud if i don't tell them abt windscreen before taking the full cover
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    You could insure the car with eCar for a month in your partners/parents name and claim off the insurance.

    Technically illegal/immoral
  • point3
    point3 Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    Just pay Autoglass to do it and consider it a lesson learnt, I'm afraid.

    3rd party insurance is a false economy. Shop around and you may find that you can get fully comp for the same price. My 4 year old, group 19 Merc cabrio is only £360 to insure with Privilege.
  • If you own a Merc expect high maintenance costs. If you cannot afford to run it sell it.


    Moneysaver
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.