PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

meal planning - where do i start?

Options

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Probably sometimes, but not always, but they would be better quality.
    Here I can get a huge bowl full of grapes from the market for £1, most fruits 3lb for £1. I get an organic veg delivery once a fortnight for under a tenner.
    At least if you go to a butcher they will have different cuts and cheaper stuff like pork hock, lamb shoulder, belly pork and so on.

by the way I should have said welcome to the site as you are a newbie;) There is plenty of advice and help here, you have come to the right place.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    just wanna thank sarahsaver! as you know im new just wondered if someone can direct me to which part of the forum i have to go on to get all the recipes and peoples money saving ideas when shopping for food i was on it earlier but cannot remember how to get bk there thanks ash
  • frugallass
    frugallass Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we've been planning meals / shopping for a few months and it makes a huge difference in the price and the amount of waste - we write the days down, then choose the meals as a family, then write the shopping list from the menu - we never buy anything to put in the freezer anymore (in fact we got rid of the freezer!)

Example:
    Mon Fish Pie
    Tues Chilli and Rice
    Wed Jacket Spuds and Tuna

List
    Fish, Potatoes, Sweetcorn, mince, chilli sauce, tuna
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    also can anyone give me the basic way of making a stew chilli and curry i know it sounds silly but i need to know some basics first! i love cooking but dont know where to start! thanks ash x
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=235198

Indexed collections of recipes, shopping things etc etc all in there. Always at the top of the forum in Old style just under where it says 'START HERE'.

Many recipes also online, if you search on google or any other search engine, type in you want to cook and the word 'recipe' and it'll bring up plenty, then choose one to suit what you need.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    also can anyone give me the basic way of making a stew,chilli, soup and curry from scratch i know there is alot there but if anyone could just give me one i would be grateful at 19 yrs old not a dab hand in the kichen yet! i know it sounds silly but i need to know some basics first! i love cooking but dont know where to start! thanks ash x
  • suexxx
    suexxx Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    I find it hard to plan all week so i tend to shop twice !
    mon-Thurs
    fri-sun
    Then i buy tins/bread/milk etc as well

Spag bol
    chilli
    lasange...are easy to batchcook as have similar ingredient! add to them garlic bead out of the freezer

We'll have chops one night and chicken another..

one night we'll just have pasta with Ragu left over chicken or tuna

I Usually have one night aweek where i do something new .

i have tried the bulk buying but find it hard !
  • NickiM
    NickiM Posts: 712 Forumite
    Options
    Another website where you put in ingredients and it gives you possible recipes is https://www.cookingbynumbers.com
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    NickiM wrote: »
    Another website where you put in ingredients and it gives you possible recipes is www.cookingbynumbers.com
    I find that site is pretty basic but can be good at giving you ideas.

What I have done is write a list of all the meals I can cook, divided into main meals and snack meals and puddings, then I look at that each Thursday (shopping day) decide what we will have, write the shopping list of what I don;t have already needed to make those meals, and buy that.

I find this works best for me, and when I learn a new recipe I add it my meals list. that way I don't forget recipes I know, which can sometimes happen.

Of course, if I find a good bargain when shopping I can revise the plan.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • suelizab
    suelizab Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    :confused: How do I meal plan when I work long shifts? 3 days a week I leave for work at 06:30 and don't get in 'til 9pm . Every other week I do nights . My daughter has just come home again with her baby who wakes every hour so is exhausted during the day . I fill the freezer and cupboards but she lives on ready meals/microwave . some days I cook properly but others I don't as I'm too tired . I need to cut down on spending and we are also throwing so much food away . I wish I could work 9 til 5 but that's not possible . Sorry to go on .
    old enough for my bones to feel the cold .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure