PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

meal planning - where do i start?

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I just bought a breadmaker and before I did I costed up how much a load of bread would cost to make:

White Sandwich Loaf (650g):

5hrs Electricity - 5p
    400g White Bread Flour (68p/1.5kg) - 18p
    1/2tsp Yeast (99p/100g) - 3p
    1.2 tbls Oil (£6.50/5L) - 3p
    1tsp Suger/1tsp Salt - < 1p

Cost per loaf = 30p

NB. Cheap Shop Loaves are 47p but 800g. Cost equivalent of the above for 800g equals 37p!

So yes making your own bread really does save money.

Also if handbaking using Dried yeast reduces the cost slightly, but the cost of electricy/gas would go up as you use the oven.
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • Allegra
    Allegra Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    Options
    Also if handbaking using Dried yeast reduces the cost slightly, but the cost of electricy/gas would go up as you use the oven.

You'd only use the oven for 20-25 minutes though, and you'd bake 4 loaves at a time (freezing the ones you'd not eat immediately), so not as much as it might seem though ;) I loved your costings, btw, especially how you also included the cost of electricity - I'll have to watch my electricity monitor next time I bake bread and work out how much it costs per loaf to bake it in the oven :T
  • zippychick
    Options
    ive merged this with our meal planning thread.

Homemade bread
    may also be useful

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts