PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

meal planning - where do i start?

Options

Comments

• swampytiggaa
    Options
    ah - see i think i am doing the pantry thing combined with meal planning - I just listed everything we had then decided what i could cook with it and bought what i needed to make the meals :D

will see how it goes.....
    :rotfl:five children? I must be mad........ :rotfl:
    aug grocery spend - £166.45
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Smiley_Mum
    Smiley_Mum Posts: 3,836 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • hypno06
    hypno06 Posts: 32,296 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    16011996 wrote:
    try writing down favourite meals to get you started, and think about which nights your going to have most time to cook, i tend to do double batches some nights, that are then easy to warm up. on this website, there are some meal planner forms you can print off, i use these, i find they really help.

http://www.organizedhome.com/printable/index.php/cat/501

Thank you for that link - what a fab site - I can see my printer working overtime today!!
    Successful women can still have their feet on the ground. They just wear better shoes. (Maud Van de Venne)
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone (Neale Donald Walsch)
  • jubarnes26
    Options
    Hey

As your a virgin meal planner..LOL. I would start easy and small. Just plan for 4 days at a time. For me it would be (1)Roast Chicken (2)Sausage, mash & veg(3) Chicken Curry & Rice (leftover chicken from roast) (4)Shepards Pie & Veg.

Just buy the food needed for these meals, then next time if you manage OK, plan for 5/7/10 days etc. Once you get in the swing, its quite easy. Each week we seem to have the same meals but normally do a 2 week meal plan and buy the main food items needed. Meals are like this for the fortnight (roughly..LOL):

2 X Roast Dinners
    2 X Shepards Pie
    Toad In Hole
    Pie, Spuds & Veg
    Fish Pie
    Sausage, Mash & Beans
    Curry & Rice
    SpagBol
    Fish Breaded, Spuds & Veg
    2 X Egg & Chips
    Chilli Con Carne & Rice

I would say these 2 weeks of meals should cost about £15 including all veg, pulses etc for the 3 of us.

PP
    xxx
    OMG - you eat exactly the same things as us - that 2 week plan is perfect.
    I'm always starting plans and never acting on them - i have loads of spreadsheets of meal planners but never seem to follow through, maybe this year will be better.

1 thing i have done in the past is write a complete weeks worth, split it right down into everything i need, tick off what i have already then do a virtual shop on tesco's to get a price list, print it off and head off to Tesco's or Morrisons armed with money off coupons !!! Hope this helps someone

Happy New Year to all moneysavers:beer:
    The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow, For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So quiet down, cobwebs. Dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

• Penny-Pincher!!
    Options
    jubarnes26 wrote:
    OMG - you eat exactly the same things as us - that 2 week plan is perfect.
    I'm always starting plans and never acting on them - i have loads of spreadsheets of meal planners but never seem to follow through, maybe this year will be better.

1 thing i have done in the past is write a complete weeks worth, split it right down into everything i need, tick off what i have already then do a virtual shop on tesco's to get a price list, print it off and head off to Tesco's or Morrisons armed with money off coupons !!! Hope this helps someone

Happy New Year to all moneysavers:beer:

Of course it will be better:D You CAN do it!

Hugs

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    i was just wonderin if anyone had any easy recipe sites? i am a 19 year old mum of one and i want to start cooking the stews curries etc but i dont know where to start. My partner works so i want to start giving him filling nutricious food when he gets home, hes quite good and eats most things! at the moment we spend 200 pound a month on food and never seem to have anything to show for it! so i just need to know where to start and what i can cook also does anyone know if it will be cheaper for me to go and buy my meast from a local butcher and if it will be cheaper to buy my veg from a local grocer? Many thanks ash
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Go into any branch of somerfield and get a copy of their free magazine which has easy recipes in it. They use some things like bagged salads occasionally , but if i use these recipes what I do is scale them down, so instead of the bag of salad I would get a couple of 'real' lettuces.
    also Delicious magazine is good as it has a monthly article called 'assembly cook' which is easy to prepare meals, plus another which is one base item cooked then adapted to make 3 different recipes.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • ashlea170706
    Options
    thanks very much for your help also dont know if u have an idea but wondered if local butchers and green grocers will be cheaper than buying it from the supermarket?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure