Restaurants that practice double tipping

Options
1234568»

Comments

• surfcat
    surfcat Posts: 734 Forumite
    Options
    ok what about Ask restaurants, you are forced to pay a 10% service charge regardless of the quality of the service! our waiter did not even know his menu and was mispronouncing stuff so much we did not even know what he meant... Even called a mushroom pizza "pizza funghi" (pronounced like the nasty stuff you can get between your toes instead of the proper italian way).

You must go to a weird ask becuase the one's I've been to don't add 10%.

And it is a different variety of the same stuff on pizza and between the toes.....
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    Options
    i always ask who actually gets the tips, i dont like it when its just added onto the bill because i have a sneaky feeling that it goes in the owners pockets
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kerfuffle wrote: »
    We went to an Italian restaurant in Banff, Canada a couple of years ago. Over there it's customery to give approx 15% tip and we would a given this under normal circumstances. However, during our meal our very 'friendly' waitress instigated a conversation and asked if we were from out of town, obviously with our Yorkshire accents we replied that we were from England, she asked whereabouts, we replied Halifax and the conversation continued from there. All very nice and friendly you may think. Not so. At the end of the meal there was a surcharge because we were international visitors!!!

Hasten to add we did not leave a tip, and have been back to Banff since and will certainly never dine at Georgios, Banff High Street, Banff, Canada.

Toodles

In fairness to the restaurant, many English visitors to north America do not understand about a 15 per cent tip, and leave waiting staff feeling cheated (after giving good service and not receiving the standard payment for that service). Some places have responded by adding that amount to the bill, and obviously only for foreign clients. And sad to say, the fact that you did not tip will only confirm their belief that they needed to charge an international surcharge.

Was the surcharge about the same as you would have tipped? Do you think it went to the waitress?
  • milkydrink
    milkydrink Posts: 2,407 Forumite
    Options
    The london hotels are the worst. My company uses Claridges for dinner/meetings, they charge for a minimum of 18 people, even though only 10 turned up - then they charged 12.5% service on all 18 meals!! I made them change the bill - said we'd pay service on 10 meals, but not for people that weren't even there.

Also, I used to waitress in a Beefeater, did you know that alot of the waitresses don't get a wage at this time of year, they work for tips only. You do tend to get the best service from them though! I hoped for tips if I'd been really good to the customers, and usually I did really well, the miserable waitresses never could work out why some of us made so much more than them!!!!!
    You honestly EXPECT people to believe that a waitress in a Beefeater (or anywhere in the UK), doesn't get paid, PULL THE OTHER ONE.

Oh & I've waitressed in The Strand Palace Hotel, The Cafe Royal, The Executive dining rooms on the top floor of the Natwest Tower, The pleasure boats on the thames, ECT ECT.
  • wijit
    wijit Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a picky sod. I always ask who gets the tip and how long it takes (if I've paid by card) in case it's shared with folk who never served me, or if the restaurant dalys paying out tips. If there is a service charge already added I always get that removed.
    I've paid the bill by card or cash before and given the waitress a cheque made out to her just to ensure the right person got it.
    Might seem a bit of a long way to do it, but my concience is a happy place.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would like to see it compulsory for restaurants to state on their menus how gratuities are distributed, either to individual staff for good service, or shared out equally. That would help us decide how much to tip in specific circumstances.
  • Jakg
    Jakg Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I work at a large electronics retailer - do customers tip me after I spend usually over an hour helping them? !!!!!!!! do they!

Why is it only people in the food industry that get tipped...?!
    Nothing I say represents any past, present or future employer.
  • clk299
    clk299 Posts: 65 Forumite
    Options
    I appreciate that the kitchen staff should get a share of the tips as it's a lot of their hard work as well as the waiting staff. However: when I worked in a top restaurant, the tips were shared out weekly, depending on how many hours you'd worked. I would have been happier if the tips were shared out nightly and then at least it would be a bit fairer; I used to hardly see anything of the tips I made, even though some of them would be a £50 + cash tip, because I wasn't working the many hours that the manager did!
  • Stompa
    Stompa Posts: 8,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Jakg wrote: »
    Why is it only people in the food industry that get tipped...?!

Goodness knows. A barking mad system that should have been done away with years ago.
    Stompa
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport