PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help us get our 1st mortgage

Options
13»

Comments

• sugarpants_2
    Options
    Andy

Would feel more secure and nice to decorate etc.
    SAVING FOR OUR FIRST HOUSE DEPOSIT

15,000 NEEDED /35,000 SAVED SO FAR! :j
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    I understand that, its' natural to want your own home. But what you need to accept is without a decent deposit (which on that income/outgoings is going to take years and years to save up) it's not viable.
    Not trying to be negative, just realistic.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    _Andy_ wrote:
    ...Anyway, in a falling market why would you want to bother?
    Perhaps the OP was hoping to reduce the £875pcm currently being handed over to buy the property for the LL?

This forum is for house buying, renting & selling. A quick perusal will indicate that the majority of threads are actually created by unhappy tenants.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • _Andy_
    _Andy_ Posts: 11,150 Forumite
    Options
    Premier wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP was hoping to reduce the £875pcm currently being handed over to buy the property for the LL?

This forum is for house buying, renting & selling. A quick perusal will indicate that the majority of threads are actually created by unhappy tenants.

Fair point - however the OP has debts which need to be repaid - whilst renting they don't have to worry about buildings insurance, costs of maintaining the property etc.
  • minimike2
    minimike2 Posts: 2,210 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What energy supplier are you with? I ask because at that price I would consider a swtich. I live in a new home with top notch insulation and glazing, and my gas on its own is £28 a month spread accross the year. I have never heard of such a low bill as yours!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Sadly, I cant see you being able to buy before you get those debts paid off - thats what you should be working on at the moment. See what you can cut down on to reduce those credit cards. Can you move to a cheaper flat?
  • Phirefly
    Phirefly Posts: 1,605 Forumite
    Options
    minimike2 wrote: »
    What energy supplier are you with? I ask because at that price I would consider a swtich. I live in a new home with top notch insulation and glazing, and my gas on its own is £28 a month spread accross the year. I have never heard of such a low bill as yours!

I'm with Eon, although I think our bills are more due to our really low gas consumption (even though we have gas cooker & GCH) than our energy supplier...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sugarpants wrote: »
    Electricity............................. 15
    Gas..................................... 15
    Water rates............................. 28
    Telephone (land line)................... 45 - get off the phone!!! Save £30
    Mobile phone............................ 10
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 20 - use freeview only. Save £20
    Groceries etc. ......................... 320 - cut this down to £200. Save £120
    Petrol/diesel........................... 80
    Road tax................................ 20
    Childcare/nursery....................... 10
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 7

There's £170.

Can you not get another job? Evenings/weekends, occasional, babysitting?
    Something.

You say you've been saving for 6 years yet you don't actually HAVE any savings. What on earth are you buying on the cards?
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Those water rates are high for a flat too.
  • Rabiddog_2
    Options
    It seems fairly obvious to me how you get a mortgage .. do all the savings pointed out AND get yourself a full time job, 2 x 1800 pcm will make this calculation a lot more healthy. But you will still have to save,save,save a deposit. Kids need more money as they grow up AND don't forget a pension, money paid in now at your age (?? young?) will work wonders thru the magic of compounded interest.And Holidays, gotta cost £1000+ per year (even tho I have gone without a holiday for seven years, and I (used to) love going abroad. :weep: ).
    I do think you have underestimated your gas and Electric
    tribuo veneratio ut alius quod they mos veneratio vos
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family