"Furniture Haggling" Discussion

What’s this about?

You can save £100s haggling in high street stores or for broadband contracts, insurance and more. The first point of call is read the full Haggling guide. Then, this discussion is specifically to talk about haggling tips for

Furniture

If you want to discuss airport parking in general please go to the Haggling guide Discussion.

If you’ve got a suggestion/tip

Simply click reply and add your suggestion, though its worth scanning down first to check it's not been duplicated.

Comments

• Hi

Just seen a sofa I want in a furniture store and was looking for some help with haggling. Anybody have any experience with furniture village and month end times/targets etc and likely discounts? Would like to be armed with as much ammo as poss.

Thanks in adnvance
  • krafty54
    krafty54 Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2010 at 3:30PM
    I had great success with a Three Piece suite from Harveys in October.I and hubby went back several times and discussed a particular suite we wanted with the salesman,but when hubby asked how much we could have as a Discount for cash the SM was willing to knock only £76 off the RRP which was a real shocker!
    I had set my heart on this suite but there was no way I was going to get just a few quid off and we walked out saying we would think about it.
    I even got friendly with one of the salesgirls,who said that I could have the suite minus discount of £76 for cash which I laughed at because that would still cost us £1769.99 instead of £1844.59,but again I walked away.
    After 5 visits,I went alone to the shop and was greeted by the original salesman,and he knew he was in for a sale but I wasn't going to let him off easily.
    He said that if I wanted this particular suite and it was at a reduced rate on Boxing Day,he would see what he could do,and I responded instantly with,"Why wait till Boxing Day,if you want to make a sale lets do the deal now!"
    I told him I wanted a 3 seater settee (recliners)£749 and 2 armchairs (recliners) £998
    I then stated that the Delivery was £59 and as it was only about 10 miles from where I live I wanted it FREE,but he said the best I can do is half price which was a reduction so I was happy..I had him!
    I then told him he could throw in the Leather Cleaner Free of charge £39.99 which he was loathe to do but I was determined to get as much as I could out of this guy.
    He still had no idea if I was going to buy at this time,so eventually I said right tot all of this up and see what price we have got.
    Total price I paid was £1560.00 with a saving of £284.59 which was great ,and he was happy to make the sale so we both got something out of it.
    Hubby was delighted when I got home carrying my Leather Cleaner and when he saw how much I had saved was gobsmacked to say the least.
    I am now an Official Haggler and I know now that I can do this anytime I want to without fear of refusal.
    My Suite will be delivered on Thursday...whoopie.
  • Last week we went to Furniture Village where there is currently a 30% off sale on already. We want to buy a 4 seater sofa, 3 seater, footstool, bed and mattress. As we are buying in bulk we simply said would there be any extra discount on top of the 30% as we are buying so much, they instantly offered us 12% more discount and wanted us to do the deal there and then, they were desperate. However we agreed that even if we came back another day the deal would still stand. We've let them sweat over it and are going back this week to do the deal but we're going to say that we've thought about it and we really want 20% more off, hopefully they will at least meet us in the middle at 15%. We'll let u know :)
  • Hi all,

I'd seen a sofa advertised on Harvey's website so went to my local store for a 'test-drive' - found out store is not big enough to have been given this range yet but was directed towards a 'similar' one. Fair enough, they want commission. A THIRD sofa caught my eye that was actually more suitable than previous two so I now want that one! It's on Harvey's website as Paloma Corner Sofabed if interested :D

Thing was, this third one they didn't have a corner sofabed in stock new. BUT I was informed by the salesman that there was an ex-display out back that would be available to me at a discount. Original Price = 999 His Discount Price = 799 Discount = 200 =/

However, he also mentioned that (as I wanted to 'go away and think') it was in storage to make room for new stock so no customers other than me would see it or even know to ask about it. Oops on his part??

What do you think my haggling potential is here? I figured a few things, 1) ex-display means used (by strangers and grubby children?) 2) He's already opened with a discount 3) In storage/taking up store space, therefore... 4) OLD stock so out of date and 5) I would be paying cash.

Ideally my budget was (and hopefully IS) 500 so I'd need to knock another 300 off his initial offer? Doable?
  • phaze5
    phaze5 Posts: 83 Forumite
    I personally wouldnt go near Harveys I bought a black leather 3+2 and a brown leather 3+2 and they both wrinkled very badly they came out and said I needed to dress the sofas every day but you cant do this with fixed cushions the stuffing in both sofas also sagged quite a bit and the frames that they actual sofas where made from where really poor I paid £2000 for the black one and £900 for the brown set but they are both as bad as each other only got 2yrs out of brown 3 seater and had to throw it out was like sitting on a vegetable crate hthxx
  • Buying furniture for our new house, found one I really like from DFS. Gonna need like two large two seaters and maybe a footstool... Each of them is £799 and the footstool is £199. How much do you think I can ask for off? I have never haggled before.

Sealed Pot Challenge #2035 £40.70
    Weekly Spend Challenge w/c 10th November - £3.90/£30.00
    Debt free since 17/10/2013 :j
  • Philippa36
    Philippa36 Posts: 6,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    We got a desk, bookcase and cabinet for £700 delivered - they took over £100 off the original price which already had been discounted by 10%. We just asked what they could do if we paid cash there and then. We were happy and they got a sale. It wasn't a chain store.

We did try previously in a small furniture store but they could only offer 10% and the order was well over 3k - we walked away and got the items elsewhere for much less online. We didn't regret walking away, sometimes its just not meant to be.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    Kurt Vonnegut
  • MSE_Sarah
    MSE_Sarah Posts: 327 MSE Staff
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for all your feedback so far. Please keep adding to this thread if you have any other comments or suggestions on furniture haggling.

MSE Sarah
    Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure