"Clothes Shops Haggling" Discussion

What’s this about?

You can save £100s haggling in high street stores or for broadband contracts, insurance and more. The first point of call is read the full Haggling guide. Then, this discussion is specifically to talk about haggling tips for
Clothes Shops

If you want to discuss airport parking in general please go to the Haggling guide Discussion.

If you’ve got a suggestion/tip

Simply click reply and add your suggestion, though its worth scanning down first to check it's not been duplicated.

Related Discussions

Comments

• In the Birmingham Selfridges store, right near to the denim department next to the till -on i think the top floor ( will update when i visit next) - there is a rail of reduced clothes, mainly jeans. Some of the jeans are ripped, where I'm guessing people have underestimated their size when trying on, however some pairs look to be discontinued lines.

Two weeks ago I brought a pair of 7forallmankind jeans, reduced from
    £170 to £30, the only "fault" i can see is that the top closure, about the zip, does not sit flat, but this was easily corrected with a needle and thread!

Not sure if this is standard in every Selfridges store, but i always check the Birmingham store now from some high quality low cost jeans that fit perfectly!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • If you notice a small fault that you can mend yourself, ask for a discount; this is at their discretion but they usually give you 10% off. For this I mean a small hole or a button missing.

If you're young-looking and in a part of the country with an accent different to yours, pretend to be a student!! Seriously, it sometimes works. If asked for a student card, say your wallet went missing in the SU bar last night, and then add, "it was lucky I keep this in my pocket for safety" as you hand over your credit/debit card. Hope this 2nd suggestion isn't against forum rules.
  • gastronomix
    gastronomix Posts: 595 Forumite
    Persistance pays...
    Unwilling to leave Debenhams paying full price for a suit I first asked to see the department manager. He was 'in a meeting' but would be back in an hour. Returning an hour later apparently he was no longer in the meeting but had gone home. A floor manager offered me 10% if I signed up for their card but this wasn't suitable for me so I tried again. Eventually I was offered a straight 10% off, saving about £18. I suspect they were glad to get rid of me :-)
  • MSE_Sarah
    MSE_Sarah Posts: 327
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    MSE Staff
    Thanks for all your feedback so far. Please keep adding to this thread if you have any other comments or suggestions on clothes shop haggling.

MSE Sarah
    Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: [email protected]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure