cavity wall insulation

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
12 replies 1.7K views
lydia_dustbinlydia_dustbin Forumite
251 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Disability Money Matters
Hi there

I live in a Bellway home which I moved into new in May 2005. The house is freezing and I had a warmfront man surveyor come round today to tell me that the house does not have cavity wall insulation. My partner is disabled and apparently we can have a grant to have this done free.

Does anyone know if Bellway had a legal obligation to add cavity wall insulation to our external walls? Should warmfront really have to cough up for cavity wall insulation? could we get bellway to pay or fit it? could we get bellway to pay towards our hefty energy bills these last three and a half years?

Would be grateful for advice

many thanks

lisa xxx :mad:
save energy - stay in bed x

:o:o:o:o:o:o

Replies

• TOBRUKTOBRUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    If your partner receives DLA you will have it done free - you won't have to pay anything! You can have your attic insulated and they check your boiler and central heating and any draftproofing. I had someone call from EAGA about a grant to do all these things - it is a government scheme. I understand WARMFRONT does this also.

If you qualify, receiving DLA, someone will come out to look at what is needed in your home and then a date will be set for them to come and do it. Didn't the chap explain all this to you?
  • Hi Tobruk, my daughter gets higher rate DLA, so would we be eligeable? Who do I ring to find out if this is government scheme? Thanks if you can help
  • slummymummyof3slummymummyof3 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find that your house having been built in 2005 was required by the building regulations to have been built with cavity wall insulation. Are you sure this 'warmfront man surveyor' was not trying to pull the wool over your eyes?
  • TOBRUKTOBRUK Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Hi Tobruk, my daughter gets higher rate DLA, so would we be eligeable? Who do I ring to find out if this is government scheme? Thanks if you can help

Hi bread of heaven, I don't know where you live but I received a full grant from HEES - HOME ENERGY EFFICIENCY SCHEME. This scheme is for WALES, but I'm sure there must be such schemes in England. I had mine through EAGA partnership with the Welsh Assembly Government.

With regard whether you would be eligible as your daughter receives DLA, in the HEES booklet it reads:
    Householders with a child under 16 claiming child benefit and where a child receives one of the following: Attendance Allowance, DLA, you qualify.

I'm not sure who you could ask if you live in England, you could phone the council perhaps for information?

Sorry if this isn't helpful.
  • Hi Tobruk, my daughter gets higher rate DLA, so would we be eligeable? Who do I ring to find out if this is government scheme? Thanks if you can help

You can find the complete list of who can qualify for this government scheme on www.warmfront.co.uk and details of how to apply.
  • thanks all. yes partner is on DLA and thats why we got warmfront in. Warmfront will stump up the cash but only if there is no cavity wall insulation. at the moment there is an issue as to whether or not the house actually has it as two inspectors have not found any. Am now approaching the builders direct so watch this space. It may well be that the insulation is not obviously visible but got to check it out - would not put any tricks beyond bellway
    save energy - stay in bed x

:o:o:o:o:o:o
  • GemmzieGemmzie Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Just to let you know, the house must also be in his name to get the grant.

It's not clear from your post what your situation is
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • As far as I've been able to ascertain, cavity wall insulation is NOT included in current buiding regulations, so they don't have to do it - as I found out to my cost.

I am pursuing the matter with the builders of our house (Bovis) as their staff told us (verbally) that it was insulated. More to the point, I don't believe the house could achieve the energy rating they quote without it. I'll keep this board informed of progress.
  • colin13colin13 Forumite
    1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I think you will find that your house having been built in 2005 was required by the building regulations to have been built with cavity wall insulation. Are you sure this 'warmfront man surveyor' was not trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

i agree with u i bought my house in 1994,,i saw this about insalation,, man came out drilled hole in wall and told me I had insulation:)
    when we got a new front window i saw it so ,I think ur wall will b insulated but they will check b 4 they do anything

The warm front grant does not apply if your dd gets DLA. It has to be the home owner tennant or partner that gets the DLA. However if you are on a low income maybe you could apply?

We were unable to get the grant while my dh was working despite my son getting DLA. Once we were getting IS we were able to get the help.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals