Where to promote my website?

Options
Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can promote my services on the web? I use a free website and it does not even come up on a google search for its full title.

I woud not like to go to decent forums like these and spam it, so are there any forums and/or listings I can use cheaply or freely to get people to visit my website?

I am selling catering-related services.

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have about 5 websites and none of them come up in an internet search. I've filled in that Google one and they all have metatags. Not really sure what else to do.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • Neoshoegal
    Options
    register your website with https://www.dmoz.org, try to get into any free or cheap directories. The more links you have to your website the better it gets. Also make sure your metatags match the content on your website. Consider google adwords, once you're in there you also have a higher chance of appearing in google normally and other search engines. My hubby takes care of my website and has managed to get it really high into google, don't really know how though...
  • Ravman
    Options
    I've just signed up to Overture, it's like Google Adwords which I do to.
    https://www.content.overture.com, there are 2 options 1) Fastrack for £79 3 days setup and no hassle and £0.00 DIY takes about 10days to setup.

The nice thing I found was it has 0800's to call, so any questions etc. even the calls free.

If nothing just call them up, it'll cost you nothing.

Mohsin
  • justpaper
    Options
    Google adwords is a money pit if not all adwords,.. if ur sites down over night etc etc Google will still charge you for the click and if u become a victim of "click fraud" u'll still have too pay up,.

Which would you click on, a valid search engine result or an ad? ...tu dum :)

get listed over at https://www.dmoz.org like Neoshoegal said,. all the other boy and gals (aol, msn yahoo etc ) link off them,..
  • ronnie_2
    ronnie_2 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    you could have your website address on your signature on forums that you visit, that way your not spamming and potentially thousands of people would see it.
    Compo challange:Amount won £0 Need to win £240
  • black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I also find it strange that people on here are allowed to put up links to Google but when I put my site up on here it gets removed because there is a link to Google on it.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • wealthsaver
    Options
    ronnie wrote:
    you could have your website address on your signature on forums that you visit, that way your not spamming and potentially thousands of people would see it.

A lot of forums now do not permit website addresses as part of a sig.
    Wealthsaving - a way of life?
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I also find it strange that people on here are allowed to put up links to Google but when I put my site up on here it gets removed because there is a link to Google on it.

No advertising is allowed on this site by members. This includes within the posts (including the refferers board), or in your signature. The only people that are allowed links in their signature on this site are board guides, and members of the MSE team. This is a quote from the rules about advertising on this site..........

ADVERTISING

This site is free from advertising. Posts on any board considered to be advertising goods, services and/or companies will be removed.

Examples of this can include anything from a specific sales post or a link to your own website in which you attempt to sell something to someone offering their holiday home to forum members. Unfortunately we cannot allow any advertising of any description no matter how honourable the intention.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport