Woodburner in a smokeless zone - I'm confused

Options

Comments

• popmitz
    Options
    Hi

Does anyone know what the attachment to make the Stockton smokeless actually does? Does it somehow stop the air control from closing so the stove cannot be made to burn very slowly?

We have a Stockton 8 which was sold to us 4 years ago as clean burn and being on the Defra approved list at the time. We assumed it was ok, We are now wanting another smaller one for the conservatory (Stockton 3) and find we need to buy this extra control to make it smokeless now. Have the goalposts been moved?

Thanks
  • celiar
    celiar Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    This is from the DEFRA exempt appliances webpage and applies to the Stockton 5 multifuel , which is approved, providing:

>>A permanent stop must be in place on the secondary air inlet to prevent closure beyond the 50% open position.<<

All of the Stocktons are approved, providing minor modifications are made. The woodburners have to have a special box fitted which costs about £20, the multifuels have to have the stop put on the secondary air inlet. Its obviously there to make sure the fire burns efficiently. You have to make sure this is done before you buy your stove and you are apparently given a certificate at the time of purchase which shows that the stove you have purchased can be legally used in a smokeless zone.

All of the DEFRA approved stoves are listed on their website. As a new user I am not allowed to post their link, but do a search for DEFRA exempt stoves.

I am looking to install a DEFRA approved multifuel stove and I notice that many of the websites selling the stoves mention that some are DEFRA approved but don't mention the modification that has to be made to make them legal. So people could end up buying a stove that, without the modification, is not legal.

The Stockton 8 you bought is also DEFRA approved but only if it has the modification required.
  • celiar
    Options
    Thanks for that hethmar.

Actually having checked that site again I was wrong in that not all of the Stocktons are exempt.

The Stockton 8 isn't!
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    What a minefield for you - luckily we arent in a smokeless zone. I thought most local authorities ignored that now anyway - but apparently not.
  • celiar
    Options
    It is a minefield hethmar. Some people just risk it and burn non-smokeless fuel but if you've got a nasty neighbour then the cost of being caught is quite high so I'd rather not risk it.
  • tz1_1zt
    tz1_1zt Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2009 at 4:22PM
    Options
    celiar wrote: »
    I am looking to install a DEFRA approved multifuel stove and I notice that many of the websites selling the stoves mention that some are DEFRA approved but don't mention the modification that has to be made to make them legal. So people could end up buying a stove that, without the modification, is not legal.

Without meaning to be too condescending, pretty much all this confusion is arising from internet shopping. Stovax is a very good brand, and the misleading service of online retailers is harmful to them. As approved dealers, all this information is provided to us and no customer would ever leave the shop wondering whether a stove is DEFRA approved or suitable for where they live.

The best advice is to use Stovax's local dealer search form on their website, or ring up and ask for your local shop. Not only will you receive proper advice, but we also help resolve all and any issues. Wood burners are serious bits of kit, and to order one blind and without advice leaves a customer very exposed to problems.
    David
  • make_life_easier
    Options
    I live in a smokeless area zone and I am getting a stove asap, I need an inset stove and was wondering if there are defra approved inset stoves
    became debt free December 06
  • tz1_1zt
    Options
    The Stovax Riva 40 inset will be in DEFRA's next list. It is tested and has passed. HOWEVER, it is not yet on the list, so is therefore _NOT_ exempt. If you buy one and your neighbours complain, you will have no proof that it meets the DEFRA standards. The local council will be well within their right to fine you for causing nuisance smoke. Beware of people selling these as DEFRA approved at present.
  • LouLou2
    Options
    The STOCKTON 5 Multi fuel or Logburner is suitable for Smokeless zones as long as it is one of a certain product code ie Wood burning flat top:7119, Multifuel flat top: 7127. They have clean burn technology. They are provided with a smoke exempt kit when you purchase them, so that they can be used in smokeless zones. There is a website which gives you all the possible stoves that you CAN use in smokeless areas in different parts of the country. Go to http : // smokecontrol . defra . gov . uk / appliances. Hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure