Woodburner in a smokeless zone - I'm confused

I have always wanted a woodburner so I ordered a Stovax 5 in July.
I also ordered a load of wood ready for the Winter and this was delivered and 3 tonnes dropped on my front lawn (what a nightmare).
The guy opposite who works at the Council said "you do realise this is a smokeless zone don't you?".
I started to look into this and have been told I would not be allowed to burn wood in my area unless my woodburner is a cleanburn.
I rang another supplier who said they now issue new buyers with a letter saying that they have informed the customer that the woodburner is/is not a clean burn one.
Apparently councils can take action against people burning non smokeless fuel.
Have any of you come across this situation.
I am worried about having it fitted now.
NSK Zombie # SFD 7/15 Food Bank £0/£5
Food
£73.57/£122 (incl. pet food)
Petrol £20/£40
Exercise 2/15 Outings 1/2
Debt :eek: £18,917

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    You need to find out whether the Stovax 5 is a cleanburn stove or not, the manufacturer should be able to tell you.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • It is clean burn

http://www.firesonline.co.uk/acatalog/Stovax_Stockton_5_Multi-fuel_Stove.html

Stovax Stockton 5 Multi-fuel Stove

A squarer shape than the 3 or 4, but still incorporating the very latest cleanburn technology and multi-fuel grate for outstanding efficiency.
  • Thankyou for your replies.
    Mine is just a woodburner.
    Would that make a difference?
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Kitty is THIS one yours?

This would appear to be cleanburn, I think you need to contact your supplier to get a definitive answer. At least then, when challenged by your neighbour you can answer him correctly.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • whatatwit wrote: »
    Kitty is THIS one yours?

This would appear to be cleanburn, I think you need to contact your supplier to get a definitive answer. At least then, when challenged by your neighbour you can answer him correctly.

Yes, that's the one.
    I went to the showroom today and one of the salesmen said that it is a cleanburn one.
    However the guy who fits them says that there are only certain stoves that meet the strict criteria set out by DEFRA and the Stovax 5 isn't one of them.
    Apparently these stoves come with a certificate to verify that they can be used in a smokeless area.
    I feel as though I have taken the lid off of a can of worms with this.
    I am talking direct to the council tomorrow and the Manager of the showroom who sold me the woodburner.
    I have a good idea what the Council guy is going to say.
    I wil let you know how I get on.
    Food
    Petrol £20/£40
  • mrs_baggins
    mrs_baggins Posts: 1,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 18 December 2013 at 1:24AM
    i have only just seen your post. You have probably already got the info but for those who live in smokeless zones and who still yearn after a wood burner here is the list http://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/

be warned though -they are not cheap. About 2 k is about average so i have been told
  • Have you had a resolution on this one please?

I Not strictly on topic - but how do you find your stove? Warm? to warm?
    It's something that I'm looking at to replace the deadone which was in the house when I bought it.
  • It's pretty easy to resolve, if you have the multi fuel option then you can burn anything. Order a few bags of smokeless fuel for burning during daylight hours and only burn logs in the evening or after dark.

I'm in a smokeless zone and have just ordered this http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/catalog/franco-belge-monaco-multifuel-woodburning-stove-p-4830.html which is pending DEFRA cleanburn approval as it has just been released.

If you had been sold the stove with an assurance it was DEFRA approved then you may have a case against the shop so long as you told them that you would be burning logs and not smokeless fuel.
  • This thread is old, but pops up at the top of a google search. Thought I would add a few things to help people searching for answers.

Cleanburn is a technology on modern woodburning stoves for improving efficiency and cleaning up emissions. It has nothing to do with DEFRA approval or Smokeless Zome exemption. However, the technology is one of the tools which a manufacture can employ in order to make their appliance meet the strict DEFRA criteria.

Cleanburn injects an additional air source into the burning chamber to aid the combustion of gasses that would normally leave the stove as smoke. This has many benefits, most importantly reducing the emissions and as a consequence reducing the tar and soot deposits within chimneys.

The Stovax Stockton 5 is now available as a DEFRA approved stove for use in Smokeless Zones. It is a simple and low cost (about £20) modification that can be made to most modern Stocktons. The secondary air control is changed in order to prevent the stove from being staved of air. This prevents it from running inefficiently and generating excess smoke. An approved Stovax Shop can advise customers on upgrading their stoves if a non-DEFRA approved version was purchased by mistake.
    Happy woodburning,
    tz1_1zt
  • Hello All,

Sorry to hijack the thread,But I am after some information regarding wood burners,

Here goes, Do they make a Smokeless wood burner, By that I mean one which does not emits any or very little smoke.

Thank you all in advance,

Nexusiow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family