Virgin Media - They Are Utterly Useless

Options
Sorry if this is a bit long, but here goes...

We were due to get 1 x V+ TV Box, 1 x Normal TV Box and our phone line and
number swapped from BT to Virgin. We are already on 20Mb broadband. Simple
enough? How wrong could I be....

The `Engineer' was booked to install between 1pm and 6pm. He phoned my father in-law at approx 10:30am to say he would be with us within 10mins. My father in-law was asleep at the time, having been working all night. Why my father in-law was contacted is still a mystery as they never have and now probably never will contact Virgin Media. My wife and I were out at the time and had just bought a coffee and something to eat. After getting a `not to happy' call from my father-in-law we had to leave what we had just purchased to rush home, to let the `engineer' in. He then went about his business installing the V+ box and phone line. He removed our existing Sky+ box and I mentioned that we still need that to be working as there was still programs that we had recorded and needed to watch. He said no problem I'll leave it so it can still be used. Once the V+ box was installed he showed us quickly what a few buttons do and I mentioned that can the V+ remote control the volume of the TV. Again he mentioned how to do it. He then finished off installing the phone line. It was at this point that we found out that our existing phone number had not been ported over (despite requesting it to) Again I had to spend another half hour on the phone Virgin to arrange for the number to be ported over. Luckily we still had our BT phone line still active, so I could swap the phone back to the BT socket. So that's the Virgin phone line not in use until the number get swapped over. He then gathered his stuff together and started to leave, when I said `what about the second box for upstairs and the wireless router?' a look of !!!!!! are you talking about? came upon him. I said `yes we ordered a second box for upstairs and was also supposed to be supplied with a wireless router' Right, I haven't got that on my job sheet, he replied and promptly phoned someone at Virgin to find out what has gone wrong. He said he had another job to go to and then would come back once it had been confirmed that a second box could be installed. I then phoned up again to complain about the poor service, the fact that my father-in-law was woken up (he subsequently couldn't get back to sleep despite working the following night) and the fact that we had to rush home having just purchased a coffee and something to eat, instead of being there for 1pm to 6pm when it was originally booked for. The woman on the phone was very good. I explained all of the above and she totally understood our annoyances and offered a £10 credit into our account as a goodwill gesture. I then went to use my PC/Broadband (again Virgin Media) only to find this wasn't working. I checked the modem lights and disconnected/reconnected it. This failed to get the broadband working. So yet again I had the misfortune of having to call `customer services' to find out what has happened. After explaining yet again all of the above I got transferred to the broadband support section, who checked the connection and said it should be working fine. I said the only thing it could be was my broadband connection had been disconnected and not reconnected by the `engineer'. He then spoke to one of his colleagues in installations who then in turn spoke to someone else in that department. I was then told that someone will be out that afternoon the fix the problem. I then went to reinstall my Sky+ box only to find that a one of the cables needed for the Sky+ box was being used by the V+ box. I then noticed why my broadband was not working. The `engineer' had disconnected the broadband to use the cable to connect the V+ box up! So I had a choice either have no broadband or no V+ TV. So that was the V+ service out of use. The two thing's we had `installed' were now sitting there uninstalled and useless. I waited in all afternoon for an `engineer' to turn up and by 5pm I phoned up yet again to find out what was going on. Again after another long wait and listening to Amy Winehouse singing Valerie for what seemed like the thousandth time, I was passed to the installations team who assured me that someone will be there by 6pm. At 6:30pm I phoned yet again explained all of the above and requested to cancel the service as obviously I was paying for something I couldn't use and requested a full refund as I obviously have had nothing installed as requested. The man on the phone accepted that what had happened was totally unacceptable and offered to credited our account with £30 and escalate the matter. He also mentioned someone will phone me up to resolve the issues. I was then put me on hold whilst he spoke to the installations team who then in turn spoke to their manager. I was offered the chance for the manager himself to come and install the equipment at around 10am the this morning, but I said this wasn't acceptable as that would mean that I would have to take yet another day off work to sit at home in the faint hope that at some point the installation guy `might' on the off chance, turn up. After some time it was agreed that he will turn up and do the install after 5:30pm, when I would be home. 5:30pm came and went so about 6:35pm I phoned up yet again to try and cancel the service I didn't have. The woman in retention's, put me through to installations, who in turn put me back to retention's. I then explained all of the above yet again and she offered to raise an official complaint, I said this should of been done already the previous night. She said there was no record of this being done. There's a surprise, I said. So I went through all of the above yet again whilst she wrote out the complaint. She mentioned someone will phone up to go through the details of my complaint. I'm still waiting.....

:mad:

Comments

• Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    aww bless you - ive just spent an hour on the phone moaning at virgin because theyve taken money out of my bank when they weren't supposed to . . Told em im cancelling and moving over to sky, still crap but a lot more easier to deal with!

good luck on that phone call!
  • stebiz
    stebiz Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ncd wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a bit long, but here goes...

We were due to get 1 x V+ TV Box, 1 x Normal TV Box and our phone line and
    number swapped from BT to Virgin. We are already on 20Mb broadband. Simple
    enough? How wrong could I be....

The `Engineer' was booked to install between 1pm and 6pm. He phoned my father in-law at approx 10:30am to say he would be with us within 10mins. My father in-law was asleep at the time, having been working all night. Why my father in-law was contacted is still a mystery as they never have and now probably never will contact Virgin Media. My wife and I were out at the time and had just bought a coffee and something to eat. After getting a `not to happy' call from my father-in-law we had to leave what we had just purchased to rush home, to let the `engineer' in. He then went about his business installing the V+ box and phone line. He removed our existing Sky+ box and I mentioned that we still need that to be working as there was still programs that we had recorded and needed to watch. He said no problem I'll leave it so it can still be used. Once the V+ box was installed he showed us quickly what a few buttons do and I mentioned that can the V+ remote control the volume of the TV. Again he mentioned how to do it. He then finished off installing the phone line. It was at this point that we found out that our existing phone number had not been ported over (despite requesting it to) Again I had to spend another half hour on the phone Virgin to arrange for the number to be ported over. Luckily we still had our BT phone line still active, so I could swap the phone back to the BT socket. So that's the Virgin phone line not in use until the number get swapped over. He then gathered his stuff together and started to leave, when I said `what about the second box for upstairs and the wireless router?' a look of !!!!!! are you talking about? came upon him. I said `yes we ordered a second box for upstairs and was also supposed to be supplied with a wireless router' Right, I haven't got that on my job sheet, he replied and promptly phoned someone at Virgin to find out what has gone wrong. He said he had another job to go to and then would come back once it had been confirmed that a second box could be installed. I then phoned up again to complain about the poor service, the fact that my father-in-law was woken up (he subsequently couldn't get back to sleep despite working the following night) and the fact that we had to rush home having just purchased a coffee and something to eat, instead of being there for 1pm to 6pm when it was originally booked for. The woman on the phone was very good. I explained all of the above and she totally understood our annoyances and offered a £10 credit into our account as a goodwill gesture. I then went to use my PC/Broadband (again Virgin Media) only to find this wasn't working. I checked the modem lights and disconnected/reconnected it. This failed to get the broadband working. So yet again I had the misfortune of having to call `customer services' to find out what has happened. After explaining yet again all of the above I got transferred to the broadband support section, who checked the connection and said it should be working fine. I said the only thing it could be was my broadband connection had been disconnected and not reconnected by the `engineer'. He then spoke to one of his colleagues in installations who then in turn spoke to someone else in that department. I was then told that someone will be out that afternoon the fix the problem. I then went to reinstall my Sky+ box only to find that a one of the cables needed for the Sky+ box was being used by the V+ box. I then noticed why my broadband was not working. The `engineer' had disconnected the broadband to use the cable to connect the V+ box up! So I had a choice either have no broadband or no V+ TV. So that was the V+ service out of use. The two thing's we had `installed' were now sitting there uninstalled and useless. I waited in all afternoon for an `engineer' to turn up and by 5pm I phoned up yet again to find out what was going on. Again after another long wait and listening to Amy Winehouse singing Valerie for what seemed like the thousandth time, I was passed to the installations team who assured me that someone will be there by 6pm. At 6:30pm I phoned yet again explained all of the above and requested to cancel the service as obviously I was paying for something I couldn't use and requested a full refund as I obviously have had nothing installed as requested. The man on the phone accepted that what had happened was totally unacceptable and offered to credited our account with £30 and escalate the matter. He also mentioned someone will phone me up to resolve the issues. I was then put me on hold whilst he spoke to the installations team who then in turn spoke to their manager. I was offered the chance for the manager himself to come and install the equipment at around 10am the this morning, but I said this wasn't acceptable as that would mean that I would have to take yet another day off work to sit at home in the faint hope that at some point the installation guy `might' on the off chance, turn up. After some time it was agreed that he will turn up and do the install after 5:30pm, when I would be home. 5:30pm came and went so about 6:35pm I phoned up yet again to try and cancel the service I didn't have. The woman in retention's, put me through to installations, who in turn put me back to retention's. I then explained all of the above yet again and she offered to raise an official complaint, I said this should of been done already the previous night. She said there was no record of this being done. There's a surprise, I said. So I went through all of the above yet again whilst she wrote out the complaint. She mentioned someone will phone up to go through the details of my complaint. I'm still waiting.....

:mad:

But other than that, did the installation go okay? ;)

Stebiz
    Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies
  • petrafyde
    Options
    Don't blame you for having a bloomin' good rant too!

Keep up the pressure on the call-centre, because they in turn will pressure the Engineers dept. (previous job experience talking ;) ) If it were me I would speak only to team leaders, (soon enough one will give you their name and extension).

Think about it laterally, OK the install service has been abysmal (which says nothing about the running of the services once they're in) - but the services are WAY cheaper? We can't have Virgin unfortunately (private shared lane) but I'd forgo some teething problems in order to get a cheaper service.

I know for a fact that after so many phone-calls 'threatening' to cut off a service the company WILL let it go, so have a good think about it - could you give it just one week after its installed and working properly before you decide to cut it off? You'll still be within consumer cooldown then I would imagine? Just trying to think about the cheaper aspect really?
    No chocolate, cosmetics or clothes to be bought before xmas day 14! ~ NPower eBay target £541.67
  • d.edna
    d.edna Posts: 701 Forumite
    Options
    What does "I'm moving over to the other service" acheive, they will probs just put you through, At work if I am threatend that someones going to go asda in future I offer directions to asda - every little helps and all that
  • ncd
    ncd Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    stebiz wrote: »
    But other than that, did the installation go okay? ;)

Stebiz

Oh yes, fantastic! I couldn't fault it [/sarcsm mode off] :rolleyes: :rotfl:

petrafyde wrote: »
    Don't blame you for having a bloomin' good rant too!

Keep up the pressure on the call-centre, because they in turn will pressure the Engineers dept. (previous job experience talking ;) ) If it were me I would speak only to team leaders, (soon enough one will give you their name and extension).

Think about it laterally, OK the install service has been abysmal (which says nothing about the running of the services once they're in) - but the services are WAY cheaper? We can't have Virgin unfortunately (private shared lane) but I'd forgo some teething problems in order to get a cheaper service.

I know for a fact that after so many phone-calls 'threatening' to cut off a service the company WILL let it go, so have a good think about it - could you give it just one week after its installed and working properly before you decide to cut it off? You'll still be within consumer cooldown then I would imagine? Just trying to think about the cheaper aspect really?

Thanks for that advice, petrafyde. I'm going to keep calling them until I get a result of some description. ;)
  • 10past6
    10past6 Posts: 4,962 Forumite
    Options
    At what stage are these multi national companies going to realise the power of the internet.
    Click here for Martins (MSE) advice on who to contact with Debt Issues - YOU HAVE NO REASON TO USE A FEE PAYING DEBT MANAGEMENT COMPANY- THEY CANNOT DO ANYMORE FOR YOU THAN THOSE LISTED IN MY LINK ABOVE.

All information given by myself is offered informally and without prejudice - if in doubt seek help from a qualified and insured professional
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Oh come on be reasonable

Things like this dont always go without problems, no doubt if you had waited more than 3 seconds before complainining the guy would have been back with the 2nd box and router and sorted it so it all worked properly
  • militantconsumer
    Options
    There used to be a company called NTL that had maybe the worst reputation for customer service in Britain. It got to the stage where almost everyone I knew had a story about NTL.

Am I right in thinking that they simply bought the name "Virgin Media" off Richard Branson to wipe their reputation clean?

Maybe they forgot to improve their customer service at the same time. I hope Branson doesn't come to regret flogging his Virgin brand to them!
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    10past6 wrote: »
    At what stage are these multi national companies going to realise the power of the internet.

Well seeing internet use has been common for over 10 years now it's obviously not had much effect!
  • ncd
    ncd Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Oh come on be reasonable

Things like this dont always go without problems, no doubt if you had waited more than 3 seconds before complainining the guy would have been back with the 2nd box and router and sorted it so it all worked properly

The word's `Yeah' & `Right' spring to mind. And be reasonable? How reasonable should someone have to be exactly? It was the combination of things that made me complain, plus the guy said to me to phone up Virgin. :rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure