PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

tenant now nearly 8 weeks in arrears

Options
ok guys, hubby rented out a house to a couple who signed a ast agreement for 6 months, which ends 31st Oct 08. The tenant paid the rent for may, jun, july and aug but did not pay sept. After numerous promises to pay and endless excuses why they couldnt (by letter and text) we chased for the rent and still no joy. When the teneant was 5 weeks in arrears (now sept and oct rent due) we gave her an offical letter stating that she was in arrears and gave her 7 working day to pay.

We still havent been paid the rent and have got fed up of the numerous promises. We have given the tenants ofical notice that on the 31st October 2008, the day the tenancy ends, we will be seeking to take back possession of the house.

Now what do we do? I know that they have to be 2 months in arreas before we can take them to small claims. Any advise from you guys would be appreciated. On the upside, we have potential tenants interested in renting the house.( I have advised hubby to go back to using the managing agent though)

thnx

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    He could contact the landlord association he's a member of?
  • IT_nerd
    IT_nerd Posts: 442 Forumite
    Options
    And people moan about BTLers....
    I'm sorry you're in such a bad situation, hopefully someone here has had to do the same thing and can give you some advice.
    Savings
    £14,200 with £1100 M.I.A. presumed dead.
  • j-baby-scotland
    Options
    Is hubby a good landlord?
    Two sides to every coin.... all certficates worthy? Flat / house good state of repair?
    Maybe they just want to ensure they ain't out for their deposit & plan to evacuate 31st October '08?
    :D
  • littlemissmoney
    Options
    bindiboo wrote: »
    We still havent been paid the rent and have got fed up of the numerous promises. We have given the tenants ofical notice that on the 31st October 2008, the day the tenancy ends, we will be seeking to take back possession of the house.

Did you give them 2 months notice? If not, the notice isn't valid.
    :p Proud to be a MoneySaver! :p
  • littlemissmoney
    Options
    Is the deposit in a tenancy deposit scheme? If not, the notice isn't valid.
  • bindiboo
    bindiboo Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    Did you give them 2 months notice? If not, the notice isn't valid.

if the 6 months ast ends next week anyway, do we still have to give 2 months?? they owe £1200 atm and we have been as patient and as understanding as possible, but we still have the mortgage to pay on the house...
  • littlemissmoney
    Options
    if the 6 months ast ends next week anyway, do we still have to give 2 months??

Yes. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear.
  • bindiboo
    Options
    Is hubby a good landlord?
    Two sides to every coin.... all certficates worthy? Flat / house good state of repair?
    Maybe they just want to ensure they ain't out for their deposit & plan to evacuate 31st October '08?

the house was in imaculate condition when we let it to them. All clean, spotless and freshly painted and everything in full working order. I hope that they dont trash it before they go just to spite.
  • bindiboo
    Options
    Yes. Sorry, I know it's not what you want to hear.

thats bum!!! I am seeing our solicitors on Monday to ensure everything is official. we just want the arrears clearing and them out. Makes what the letting agents take as their cut look like nothing compared to the hassle we are having with these tenants. Lesson leant here I think.
  • j-baby-scotland
    Options
    the house was in imaculate condition when we let it to them. All clean, spotless and freshly painted and everything in full working order. I hope that they dont trash it before they go just to spite.

Hope so too for you.
    Loads of rogue landlords about, with their substandard properties.
    If they can't appreciate a 'good' one, you are best shot of them.

Best result for you, they vamooz come 31st.

I'd listen to those here to prepare in advance as best possible incase they dont.
    :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family