Is it a necessity or a luxury?

Options

Comments

• jat100
    jat100 Posts: 178 Forumite
    Options
    A. Mobile Phone - I got my first mobile phone as a Christmas present last year and I hardly ever use it. I never make calls on it and only occasionally send text messages. I use it more for receiving calls and texts but as I managed without one for 40+ years, I could easily do so again.
    B. TV - I would find this difficult as I can't afford to go out much but then, I can read and there are plenty of books at the local library!
    C. Car - I don't have a car and never have had one. I walk whenever possible or use the bus or train.
    D. Fridge/Freezer - This I couldn't do without! I use the freezer a lot and without a fridge would not be able to have any butter/marg, cheese, etc unless I ate the whole lot in one go! I would also hate to have to go food shopping any more regularly than I do now or not to be able to take advantage of bulk buy offers.
    E. Washing Machine - mine broke down over a year ago and I couldn't afford to replace it but luckily there is a very good launderette nearby.
    F. The Internet - it would be hard to give this up as it is so useful for all sorts of things but I could use the one at the library for research and I could do my banking, purchasing and bill paying with all the extra time I would have from not having a TV!
  • As far as I can see there is only one luxury on that list & I can certainly live without the TV.

a. essential , work
    b. you can keep it
    c. we are rural & have no public transport worth mentioning
    d. loss is more expensive than owning, inefficient shopping etc & waste due to spoiling.
    e. again the cheapest & most efficient way of working,
    f. essential, work
  • charlieheard
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote:
    A. Mobile Phone
    B. TV
    C. Car
    D. Fridge/Freezer
    E. Washing Machine
    F. The Internet

Too easy!
    • TV is a luxury as you don't need it to live. Just because you really want it doesn't mean it's essental.
    • It's still much cheaper to use bikes, taxis and public transport than to run a car for most people - not as convenient, maybe :rolleyes:
    • Buying in bulk is cheaper (especially without a car!), so this is top of the list
    • A washing machine is a convenience, not necessity, so this is a luxury
    • Public libraries provide the internet - so it's a luxury
    Don't confuse convenience with necessity. Strictly, they're all luxuries, but only the Firdge/Freezer would help you save money.

When my wife worked in a hospital in Ladakh (12,000ft up in the foothills of the Himalayas), most people there owned nothing except the family house, livestock and cooking utensils. Life was hard (her toothpaste froze :eek:), but she said the people were totally content. They didn't need anything more...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • FeelgoodSam
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote:
    Poll Title: Poll Started: 13 Dec. Is it a necessity or a luxury? If money were so tight you had to give everything up, which of the following would you keep and you can only choose one!

A. Mobile Phone
    B. TV
    C. Car
    D. Fridge/Freezer
    E. Washing Machine
    F. The Internet

Click reply to discuss or vote here.

A. Necessity
    B. Necessity
    C. Necessity
    D. Necessity
    E. Necessity
    F. Necessity
  • zar
    zar Posts: 284 Forumite
    Options
    I'd struggle without a washing machine but would cope. - Luxury

At the moment we are reliant on a car as live in a rural area but if we had to do without it for money reasons we'd probably move to a town or village with public transport links. - luxury

I'd feel lost without my mobile for a few days but would adjust back pretty quickly I think. I don't think a freezer is a necessity (although when I rented somewhere with a fridge but without a freezer I went and bought one straight away so I could buy in bulk). I'd miss the internet but would go to the library.
    -luxuries

My DH managed without a TV for 18 years and I'm pretty sure I'd adjust if I had to. I will next week anyway as going to stay with inlaws. - luxury

Fridge is definitely my necessity and I can see few times when it would make sense to be without one. All the others have fairly high running costs (freezer uses more electricity than fridge) - washing machine is the only other comes close in terms of cutting back since you'd probably spend more in the laundrette that using the machine, unless you wash everything by hand. At the moment by milk is colder when I leave it outside all day than it is in the fridge, but in the summer I'd struggle and it would cost more to be buying food everyday and then throwing it away if you had bought too much than not having a fridge.
    :shhh: There's somewhere you can go and get books to read... for free!
    :coffee: Rediscover your local library! _party_
  • cottel7
    cottel7 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I've already given up my TV, and don't miss it one bit, I fit so much more into my day by not being distracted by it, and not just vegging out infront of it in an evening.

I hardly use my mobile phone, it's usually other people calling me (hence the PAYG)

Public transport isn't all that bad!

Without a fridge freezer I would shop more regularly, instead of once a week I guess.

I would miss the internet and all it's money saving, but I'm sure I would survive, after all it wasn't that long ago that the thing didn't exsist!

I definitely couldn't be without my washing machine, although I am already saving money since I only do cold water washes in it. I can't see any difference in my whites (as long as you choose your washing powder carefully), and if necessary, the good pre treatment or bleach in the wash does the trick on stubborn stains! Admittedly I have no children, but try it and see if you can tell the difference. (If worried about germs on hankies etc, then just boil the kettle and pour it into the sink, leave them to soak with a splash of bleach)
  • quickstepqueen
    Options
    I would keep the car purely because I live so remote, public transport is dire (and couldn't move house because wouldn't be able to afford rent in a town.)

I have an absolutely fantastic pantry.
    Could defo live without mobile.
    If keeping car could get to laundrette.
    Could live without TV - might get some jobs done around the house!
  • Iguana
    Iguana Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My own mobile phone I hardly use
    TV I harldy ever watch
    My car is used 95% of the time for work
    I managed without a freezer when I most needed one (3 under fives and no money)
    I'd save a lot of time if I didn't have the internet.
    I can't imagine being without a washing machine.
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think a little luxury is a necessity!!!!
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • grannybev
    Options
    I have a mobile phone - only because my grownup daughters think I need one. I don't own a television, and have never learned to drive. I have access to the Internet at work, but think that when I retire, I will manage with accessing it at the library. I guess having grown up on a farm on the Canadian prairies in the 50s and early 60s accustomed me to the idea that as long as you have a roof over your head and enough to eat, everything else is optional! I do think a washing machine is a virtual necessity, however, especially if you go out to work. I have used the launderette in the past, and it is a fairly stressful experience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure