Is it a necessity or a luxury?

Options
Poll Title: Poll Started: 13 Dec. Is it a necessity or a luxury? If money were so tight you had to give everything up, which of the following would you keep and you can only choose one!

A. Mobile Phone
B. TV
C. Car
D. Fridge/Freezer
E. Washing Machine
F. The Internet

Click reply to discuss or vote here.

Comments

• aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    See...this is where being a parent sucks again!

I'd have to keep my washing machine as I've got 3 kids.

If I was on my own though, I'd keep my car.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,930 Ambassador
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd like to say option B, TV...........because I wouldn't want to miss 'Make me Rich'.:snow_grin

But really it's option C, Car.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • wigginsmum
    wigginsmum Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Options
    It'd be a toss-up between the fridge/freezer and the washing-machine. All the rest are luxuries, and I don't drive so don't have a car.

Jules
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • meadowcat
    Options
    No, sorry. Cannot decide on keeping only one thing. I could give up the mobile phone and maybe - just maybe the TV - but the rest is non negotiable.
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    Options
    A. Mobile Phone - managed perfectly without one for 30 years
    B. TV - would do us good not to rot in front of soaps every night!
    C. Car - don't own one, don't want one
    D. Fridge/Freezer
    E. Washing Machine - there's a launderette round the corner
    F. The Internet - very hard to give up, because I use it for so much. For instance, without the internet I would have to close down my internet-only accounts and use bank branches again. Not impossible but very very inconvenient. Of course I would miss my MSE fix! I don't know if the poll just refers to the home, I could manage without home Internet if I could keep using it at work.

Losing TV or Internet would spoil my fun but for the essentials of life I would have to keep the fridge/freezer. A lot of my budgetting ideas depend on bulk cooking and freezing. We don't have a pantry or cellar and the boiler is in the kitchen, so food really would go off very quickly.

When I was a kid and we wuz very very poor our fridge broke down and we had nothing for a few weeks. I still remember how miserable my mum was struggling to feed us on a small budget, watching what little we had go manky. We lived in a village with hugely overpriced shops so daily local shopping was far more expensive than the once a week Tesco trip.

30 years ago my parents only had a fridge (no freezer) and the TV, and that was a novelty. If someone had offered them a choice of five out of six luxuries they would think Christmas had come early!
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    aliasojo wrote:
    See...this is where being a parent sucks again!

I'd have to keep my washing machine as I've got 3 kids.

If I was on my own though, I'd keep my car.
    I would keep the car as I value my freedom to go places, get shopping etc. more than the rest. I've got kids too but they'd just have to be dirtier or do their own washing! :snow_laug
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • pandas66
    pandas66 Posts: 18,811 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote:
    Poll Title: Poll Started: 13 Dec. Is it a necessity or a luxury? If money were so tight you had to give everything up, which of the following would you keep and you can only choose one!

A. Mobile Phone
    B. TV
    C. Car
    D. Fridge/Freezer
    E. Washing Machine
    F. The Internet

A. Easy live without
    B Very Easily live without
    c Need............I do the school run and car share
    D Need in summer
    E Need but could share or get Mum to do it (don't tell her)
    F Do you need to ask...........

I am thinking of going camping next year, so will practise all of above (apart from the car) for a week.
    Panda xx

:Tg :jo:Dn ;)e:Dn;)o:jw :T :eek:

missing kipper No 2.....:cool:
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote:

A. Mobile Phone
    B. TV
    C. Car
    D. Fridge/Freezer
    E. Washing Machine
    F. The Internet

Fridge/freezer. No question.

The rest I really can do without - I lived for a year without a washing machine once and did it all by hand.

No internet at home anyway.

Didn't get a mobile for ages and hardly use it.

Don't watch TV very much.

Never been without a car but I could cope.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh, what a horrible decision!

a) Mobile phone - I don't actually use mine much, but I am a single car-driving female so I wouldn't want to be without it (esp. as 'phone boxes seem to be non-existant). I broke down in the middle of nowhere at 1am last year and it was frightening enough WITH the mobile!
    b) TV - only watch it about twice a week, but I would miss David Attenborough and QI!
    c) Car - I couldn't do my job without it and no woman (or indeed man) would travel around my area by public transport after dark (or the day! My friend got mugged on a full bus at 2pm).
    d) Fridge-freezer. I can't shop for food every day (work full-time and no food shops near where I work) so without a fridge/freezer I'd be living on cans and dried food all week.
    e) I've survived without one before, but I didn't like it.
    f) The Internet - actually need it for my job, so I need that too. Oh God, I couldn't survive without the internet!!!

That's it - I'm not giving up anything!
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MSE_Archna wrote:

A. Mobile Phone
    B. TV
    C. Car
    D. Fridge/Freezer
    E. Washing Machine
    F. The Internet

This is hard.
    A) Mobile phone-never use it. Quite happily live without it.
    B)TV-could manage. Don't watch much
    C) Car- could manage. Would make some things more difficult
    D) Fridge/Freezer- Would prefer not to do without it but I do have a supermarket within walking distance, so could reluctantly manage
    E) Washing machine. I'm going to have to keep this, cos the nearest laundrette is 4 miles away and with no car it's 2 bus rides.
    F) Didn't have it till 18 months ago. Could manage without it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure