confused about esa

Options
as of monday people will have to claim esa but are you still entieled to disability premium and server disability premium? from what i gather its not only harder to get but its less money?

Comments

• Ditzy_2
    Ditzy_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Options
    Looking through training notes it quotes -

'there is no disability premium in ESA'

Premiums ESA

Premiums only awarded in ESR (IR)
    Work broadly in the same way as under IS/JSA(IB) etc except with the following differences:

No disability premiums in ESA

Support component brings in entitlement to Enhanced Disability Premium (which is new)

The Pensioner Premium has similar effect to large personal allowances to over 60's in PC and HB/CTB

In MAIN phase the amt of Pensioner Premium is reduced by the amt of the component.
  • stealthgrow
    Options
    i only found out esa kicked in on the date it does today! if i go to the jobcenter tomorow can i apply incapasity and incomesupport and just miss the deadline of monday? how long dose it take to start a claim? i need quick replys as i need to go to bed soon and go out in the morning.
  • stealthgrow
    Options
    p.s do you need a sick note to apply for esa ?
  • Ditzy_2
    Options

Most people will just need to make a single telephone call, with no initial claim forms to complete or sign, to start their application process. Customers with speech or hearing difficulties can contact us using a textphone to make their claim. Customers unable to claim by phone can claim via a representative or interpreter, by completing a printed claim form or through most Jobcentres, where a claim may be made face to face.

Source: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/esa/faq-esa.asp

Claimants will be assessed by DWP docs I guess and not their GP (unless you wish to backdate or appeal)
  • stealthgrow
    Options
    Customers in the Support Group will receive up to £89.50 a week. The poorest Support Group customers who are receiving income-related payments can receive a higher rate of Employment and Support Allowance of up to £102.10 a week (£17.60 more than the long term rate of Incapacity Benefit).

what does it mean by imcome related? surely if you cant work you have no income? i dont understand how you get the higher rate?
  • Ditzy_2
    Options
    Income Related = Income support on incapacity grounds i.e did not qualify for IB due low tax contributions.

There is ESA (C) contributory which will be previously Incapacity Benefit.
  • healy
    healy Posts: 5,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options

Yes you will need a sick note to start a claim for ESA.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It should be remembered that those currently on I/B and I/S will stay as they are for the time being,it may take upto 5 years to move existing claimants across to the new benefits and then it is assumed that they will be protected from loss of benefits,in the same way as those on the old invalidty benefits were protected when it was changed to I/B
    From Monday all new claims will be for ESA
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I'd not heard anything about this new scheme until reading this post, and am now totally confused by it !!!

DH currently gets IB (long term high rate) alongside his DLA (highest rate both components), but we haven't been getting any IS alongside it as I've had a salary coming in.

However that changes on 27th November, as I'm being laid off and will be claiming Carers Allowance rather than (contibutions based) JSA -- my choice, but as I've been on "gardening leave" since May due to lack of work in reality I've been home to look after him since then anyway, and don't think I could cope with the worry of being at work and him being home alone.

We can't initially get anything that's means tested due to my pay-off, but have been advised to put a claim in anyway (so that we're in the system, and have written confirmation of what we would be entitled to without the capital behind us -- especially as this is the rate they will allow for us spending to calculate when we will be entitled to anything).

So will our claim for IS be dealt with under the old scheme due to his pre-existing IB, or will they move him over so it's all dealt with under the new scheme?
    Cheryl
  • stealthgrow
    Options
    healy wrote: »
    Yes you will need a sick note to start a claim for ESA.

where does it state this?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport