PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Clear Nail Varnish

Options
I never wear nail varnish but I have a cheap (Collection 2000) bottle of clear nail varnish which can be put to lots of use.

A ladder in your tights? Stop it with a dab of clear nail varnish.

Buttons falling off your garments? Fix them in place with a dab of clear nail varnish on the stitches.

Hair grip has a sharp edge? Put a blob of clear nail varnish on the end of the hair grip to prevent it digging into your scalp.

Are you sensitive to Nickel in jewellery? Paint the underneath of your metal watch strap or earring posts with clear nail varnish to create a protective barrier.

Would you like to share your tips?

threadbanner.gif
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the 'I wanna' and 'In my home' and Health & Beauty'' boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.

Comments

• foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    paint the bottom rim of things like hairspray,deodorant tins etc in the bathroom with nail varnish, to stop rust ring marks on your bathroom shelves
  • henhog
    henhog Posts: 2,786 Forumite
    Options
    You can use clear nail polish as varnish if your kids like to paint stones with poster paint! Wait til the paint dries obviously!! :snow_grin You can do the same with painted hard boiled / blown eggs at easter. The cheapo clear nail polish like Nile described is cheaper than varnish if you only want small amounts.
  • Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    it's good for making a waterproof repair to a tear on an umbrella too
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I used to make 3d origami stars when I was still at school and varnished them with clear nail polish. Gave them away to everyone as little Christmas presents. Might do that at work this year. :D The instructions are here:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/8012/creation/star.html
  • Str4berr3
    Options
    hey!

I know how to do those! I once bought a see through heart shape jar and managed to fit 182 stars in for my partner.
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    Katgoddess wrote:
    I used to make 3d origami stars when I was still at school and varnished them with clear nail polish. Gave them away to everyone as little Christmas presents. Might do that at work this year. :D The instructions are here:

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/8012/creation/star.html

Yay...took three goes...but got it in the end...cool!!! icon10.gif
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Bambywamby
    Bambywamby Posts: 1,608 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been thinking how many things I use clear nail varnish for and how handy one little bottle is (approx £2.50)

1) Put the nail varnish on any buttons over the cotton. it will stop the buttons coming off and the cotton breaking.

2)A small ladder in your tights/stocking will not become a big one if you dab clear nail varnish around the hole.

3)Torn a nail? Seperate a small piece of white tissue, so you have one ply. Brush over the tear with the varnish, add the piece of tissue and varnish over again and allow to dry. You create an instant fix it for nails.

4)Putting two coats on a conker (allowed to dry inbetween) will give your child one tough, invincible chestnut to battle with.

5)If cheap jewellery/earrings/watches irritate your skin - make them hypoallergenic by putting varnish on the area of the jewellery that makes contact with the skin. Works really, really well.

6)And of course the obvious one - it makes nails look glossy and helps protect them from breaking.

Cant think of anything else...anybody else use it for anything else?
    *Frugal Living 2015* *Not Buying It 2015*
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ MARK TWAIN

27/50
  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've never tried it but apparently you can use it to paint the bottom of shaving cans and they wont leave rust marks in the bathroom.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • Eels100
    Eels100 Posts: 984 Forumite
    Options
    In emergencies, to remove nail polish you can paint another coat on top and wipe it all off before it dries. I've never had to try this on furnishings/children/pets, just my nails, so no promises!
  • Tiff_2
    Tiff_2 Posts: 3,046 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - I tried the clear nail varnish on watches and other jewellery because I'm very sensitive to nickel - I even did the little metal buckle/clasp that does the watch up but I still reacted to it. :(
    "If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought." ~ by Peace Pilgrim.
    'You just got Tiffed!' ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport