What is a NHI number?

Options
Just a bit confused as to what an NHI number is? Is it the same as the national insurance number?
Thanx

Lady_K

Comments

• stazi
    stazi Posts: 1,295 Forumite
    Options
    I think it's a National Health Service number which is different from a NI number.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    How would I find it? I've looked on google but can't find anything :(
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think it might be on your medical card. If you can't find that then try asking your doctor as I assume they use that when registering you at their practice.
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    I've googled it and it looks like it's your National Health Index number in New Zealand!
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • colin13
    colin13 Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Options
    part of ur NHI number is ur date of birth go to ur docs practice and c if they can help
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes I found that all that shows up is the national health insurance for New Zealand, its weird that nothing can be found at all. I even looked on the nhs site and the inland revenue site and nothing comes up for it.

I'll have to have a search through any health documents I can find and if I can't find anything I'll just phone the Doctors and see if they can tell me over the phone.
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    Options
    Let us know. It's intruiging now !
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    it's on any letters from the hospital, it's sometimes the same as your patient number depending on the area.
  • chrisbur
    chrisbur Posts: 4,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lady_K wrote: »
    Just a bit confused as to what an NHI number is? Is it the same as the national insurance number?

Who is asking for this number? As advised if it's something medical probably your NHS number but if it's something to do with work then it's more likely they want your national insurance number. Over the years I have seen NI numbers referred to incorrectly, as national health insurance numbers on several occasions.
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think it stands for the Nutrition and Health Institute.

In Scotland, by the way, your NHS number is called a CHI number and is made up of your date of birth followed by 4 extra numbers.

Your healthcare reference numbers are on the card you get when you register with your doctor.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure