We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Car parking fine advice needed

2»

Comments

  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Nobody knows that this car park isn't council property and within local government laws. If the OP hadn't parked in the wrong place this wouldn't be an issue on private or council land. Why avoid punishment just because it's not technically council property...IF that is the case?!

    Do the crime, pay the fine...surely?

    So, if someone parks abreast of three cars, blocking them all in and gets fined and towed away, can they claim their car back without charge because 'it's not council property and I can park where I like'?! There needs to be some sort of authority to monitor parking etc... :confused:
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Read the OP again - it's a store car park.

    And the "fine" is £45.00.

    Do the crime, pay the fine...surely?

    It's not a crime and it's not a fine.

    So, if someone parks abreast of three cars, blocking them all in and gets fined and towed away, can they claim their car back without charge because 'it's not council property and I can park where I like'?!

    As we've said before - it's not a fine. But as far as towing goes, they'd need an SIA licence, and would not return your vehicle until the penalty's paid. However, you'd be perfectly at liberty to request a refund and/or issue court proceedings for recovery if you felt it appropriate.

    One thing though, OP - don't understand why you'd not park straight just because someone else hasn't. I always park straight, even if means they can't get back in their car.
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    But my local store car park is still council property and monitors by council traffic wardens (mostly due to locality to train station and guys wanting to park FOC!). As I said, park properly and it's not an issue.
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • TiTheRev wrote: »
    But my local store car park is still council property and monitors by council traffic wardens (mostly due to locality to train station and guys wanting to park FOC!). As I said, park properly and it's not an issue.

    My local sainsburys is a council car park, all these smart !!!!!! get tickets for overstaying/mis parking and then ignore them.

    I LOL
  • eeeeen
    eeeeen Posts: 98 Forumite
    Yes it was a private car park yes I did overpark the white lines just was'nt thinking
    my point is should there not be a warning saying that overparking the white lines will generate a fine
    the fine/invoice will be paid no problem as the firm will pay
    i would just like to know and let others know what is going on out there in our taxed, greedy, bullyboy Uk
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    eeeeen wrote: »
    Yes it was a private car park yes I did overpark the white lines just was'nt thinking
    my point is should there not be a warning saying that overparking the white lines will generate a fine
    the fine/invoice will be paid no problem as the firm will pay
    i would just like to know and let others know what is going on out there in our taxed, greedy, bullyboy Uk

    Not that it's enforceable in the first place, but if it were, then of course, if there were no warnings, then they couldn't enforce it.

    Which company is the ticket from?

    Please don't just pay these scammers - you are encouraging them in their devious ways.

    Get yourself on to the parking forums on https://www.pepipoo.com for some further information.
  • eeeeen
    eeeeen Posts: 98 Forumite
    One thing though, OP - don't understand why you'd not park straight just because someone else hasn't. I always park straight, even if means they can't get back in their car.[/quote]



    Thanks for your input I dont know why I did'nt park straight as I usally do I was in in a rush that day never gave it a second thought

    Lesson learnt
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.