IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Charge Notice @ Merryhill

Went to Merryhill for the first time in a while today and struggled to park (as always). Ended up parking by MFI. However, it seems we failed to spot the "warning notices" and as such have received a ticket courtesy of TPS for £60 for over staying the 2 hour limit by 6 minutes!!! We always assumed that parking at Merryhill was free (and like I say, in our haste to get to the shops safely with our 3 kids, failed to spot the signs. Is there anything we can do or should I just hold my hands up and pay the £40 (if we pay within 14 days). I did speak to MFI staff but they weren't bothered at all!!!

Some have suggested that this an unenforceable invoice and that there's no provision in law for them to 'fine' me. What should I do?!?

Comments

• sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    The people who ahve suggested that to you are correct.

Ignore, ignore, ignore.

And get yourself on to the forums at https://www.pepipoo.com where they'll tell you the same!
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Sounds totally unenforceable to me! Only a "Penalty Charge Notice" is valid and no-one else is allowed to use that phrase - though you notice, they do try and get as close as they can and make it look official.

Ignore it. Please. They might continue to send a few more letters but just ignore them. If you enter into conversation with them, they'll just keep pushing it, so don't bother. Spend your money on something else.

www.pepipoo.com
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • themaccas
    themaccas Posts: 1,453 Forumite
    I've had one of these and ignored it. They sent 2 more notices each more threatening than the last and I ignored each one......please do the same! I've heard nothing more since.
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE:T
  • CHR15
    CHR15 Posts: 5,193 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is merryhill local to us?? :confused: never heard of it.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    CHR15 wrote: »
    It's near Dudley, West Midlands, and is a well-known hotspot for scamming PPCs sending out bogus penalty charges. They really should print them on perforated paper ...

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    CHR15 wrote: »

Better known as Merryhell!!
  • hi i just got a charge for parking somewhere in paisley is this tps legit and just cant enforce the fine or is it s rip off scam ?
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    hi i just got a charge for parking somewhere in paisley is this tps legit and just cant enforce the fine or is it s rip off scam ?
    Is it private or council (which council)?

Please start a new thread for your case with the appropriate info after you've read the 'welcome' sticky :)
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    TPS - will be private. Read all the advice in the parking forum, and ignore it.

ETA: the ticket, not the advice!!!
  • Rebel
    Rebel Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I will go against the other replies here, take proper advice from somewher like CAB if you are going to ignore it.

Whilst ignoring it may be the best course of action, without knowing the full details nobody here can be certain and the last thing you need is a county court summons if you should have responded and didn't.

Personally I belong to the RAC in your position I would contact them and ask for advice, alternatively most car insurance policies have legal protection so you could ask them even some home insurance policies have legal advice included.

PLEASE don't take advice on legal matter from well intentioned but not qualified people on something that could cost you a lot, its not other forum members that have to deal with the consequences if they are wrong
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure