🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Can someone please help with car insurance they have wrote the car off

Options
Hi
We were in a car crash this week and we found out today they have wrote the car off because we paid £7,000 for it in Dec 07 and the work would have cost over £4,000 but what makes me mad is they told us its not because its unsafe it because it will cost too much :mad: we asked if we could get the parts ? we were told no he told us they would just sell the parts on .
So someone told me if i don.t say Yes to the first price they offer the money will go down .
Can someone please help because we don't know what to do now .
Many thanks

Comments

• mon1o
    mon1o Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    im in the same situation as you ( well, almost) i had an accident on tuesday and the insurance have wrote the car off because of the cost to repair it. The garage have said it is sriveable. They have offered us a pitiful amount and we have refused it. Not because we are greedy but because it was nealry half of the actual market value (which my policy states will be paid in the event of a write off).

I was wondering how to go about getting a decent settlement fidure off my insurance company?

Monica
  • tinkerbell84
    tinkerbell84 Posts: 5,323 Forumite
    Options
    how are you measuring market value?
  • journ
    journ Posts: 231 Forumite
    Options
    mon1o wrote: »
    im in the same situation as you ( well, almost) i had an accident on tuesday and the insurance have wrote the car off because of the cost to repair it. The garage have said it is sriveable. They have offered us a pitiful amount and we have refused it. Not because we are greedy but because it was nealry half of the actual market value (which my policy states will be paid in the event of a write off).

I was wondering how to go about getting a decent settlement fidure off my insurance company?

Monica

Aw I'm sorry you are going through the same thing
    All they want to do is make money out of our upset and thats sick:mad: my sister paid for the car out of her Tesco pension so it looks like we will not see the £7000 again .
    The man said look at the cars over there they are in a real mess and when i look at your car it can get fixed but your insurance will not pay up .
    We just cannot win with theses company's .
    This is the first time this has happened to us and i just don't know what to do .
    Also as soon as we were told they would not fix the car we had to take there car back , So we are now without a car , Our heads are all over the place .
    Take care and good luck.
  • mon1o
    mon1o Posts: 749 Forumite
    Options
    ok, firstly let me apologise for the major typos in my previous post!

Secondly, ive looked at market value based on make/model of car, mileage etc and looked on auto trader, ebay, parkers, glass's and the aa. the average comes out at around £1600, allowing that it has scratches and a few chips which were done seperatley to the accident we are willing to deduct £300 for those. Therefore we are asking for it to be valued around £1300. The insurance company called us today and offered us £674 which is not good enough.

This is the first time we've ever been through this so im not sure if our research is good enough however, the insurance company said they will get someone 'independant' (probably paid by them!) to re-value and call us back next week with another offer.

Im annoyed, because the idiot who crashed into me has accepted full liability and not a scratch was caused to his car. Plus, he was in a company car, so his insurance costs probably wont even rise, despite the fact that he hit me!

Sorry for my rant im just so cross and fed up. I think today this whole thing has got on top of me and yes, we want it sorting but not at a figure of £674.

Monica
  • journ
    Options
    mon1o wrote: »
    ok, firstly let me apologise for the major typos in my previous post!

Secondly, ive looked at market value based on make/model of car, mileage etc and looked on auto trader, ebay, parkers, glass's and the aa. the average comes out at around £1600, allowing that it has scratches and a few chips which were done seperatley to the accident we are willing to deduct £300 for those. Therefore we are asking for it to be valued around £1300. The insurance company called us today and offered us £674 which is not good enough.

This is the first time we've ever been through this so im not sure if our research is good enough however, the insurance company said they will get someone 'independant' (probably paid by them!) to re-value and call us back next week with another offer.

Im annoyed, because the idiot who crashed into me has accepted full liability and not a scratch was caused to his car. Plus, he was in a company car, so his insurance costs probably wont even rise, despite the fact that he hit me!

Sorry for my rant im just so cross and fed up. I think today this whole thing has got on top of me and yes, we want it sorting but not at a figure of £674.

Monica
    Please don't say sorry i feel the same way
    I would love to find out what theses companys make form our cars i think they should give us a print out of all the money they get from our cars.
    the £674 is a joke :mad: good luck.
  • tinkerbell84
    Options
    You never accept the first offer anyway. ;)

It's a game. You need to show them the proof you have that the car is worth more (bearing in mind that you can ask anything you like when selling a car - it's what it actually sells for that matters)

Presumably you have an excess - that will be deducted from the value, along with any outstanding insurance premium (unless you are getting a new car and the insurers will continue that policy for you).

You may also be able to buy the car back from the insurers, and get it fixed privately with the remainder of the money.

So say they agree your £1300 value. Less say £300 excess (which you claim back from 3rd party's insurance with your legal cover) so that gives you £1000 in your pocket.

Ask the insurer how much the cost would be to buy back your car. It might be around £250. If you can do the repairs for £750, you have your car back and are not out of pocket. People often find that repairs don't cost anywhere near as much privately, so you could get some extra cash out of the experience too ;)

Good luck!
  • devon_scouse
    Options
    Have a price set in your head what you are willing to acccept.
    Look in local paper/Auto trader at cars simailar age and make as yours.
    Cut out adverts and send them to your insurance company and only cut out the ones who.s prices are closest to what you are willing to accept.
    I did this with our car that was written off. Insurance company offered about £800 less tha I was expecting set adverts off insurance match my price.
  • Marsh_Samphire
    Options
    Find out what write off category the car is. If it is A or B it can't be repaired, but if it is C or D it could be repaired.
    See http://www.carsalvagefinder.co.uk/car_salvage_categories.php

My Mum had a car accident a couple of years ago and the insurance company wanted to write it off, but we argued about the value (with evidence from adverts, just as devon scouse suggests). We ended up getting the car back from the insurance company and our local garage (who we've used for 20 years) repaired it. It needed a new MOT to show it was roadworthy again.

The car is still going strong 2 years later, we would never have been able to get an equivalent replacement with the paltry sum the insurance company offered for it.
    Marsh Samphire
  • journ
    Options
    Find out what write off category the car is. If it is A or B it can't be repaired, but if it is C or D it could be repaired.
    See http://www.carsalvagefinder.co.uk/car_salvage_categories.php

My Mum had a car accident a couple of years ago and the insurance company wanted to write it off, but we argued about the value (with evidence from adverts, just as devon scouse suggests). We ended up getting the car back from the insurance company and our local garage (who we've used for 20 years) repaired it. It needed a new MOT to show it was roadworthy again.

The car is still going strong 2 years later, we would never have been able to get an equivalent replacement with the paltry sum the insurance company offered for it.

Thanks for that our car is under C but will that mean the car new insurance can only be third party fire and theft.
    we were paying for the insurance monthly by direct debit will this mean this insurace will end on the day the car was wrote off.
    Thanks
  • LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    journ wrote: »
    Thanks for that our car is under C but will that mean the car new insurance can only be third party fire and theft.
    we were paying for the insurance monthly by direct debit will this mean this insurace will end on the day the car was wrote off.
    Thanks

Why can you only get third party fire and theft?
    No you purchased an annual policy and made a claim, you will be liable for the full cost

If you dont like writing the car off, ask the insurers for a settlement which would see you retain ownership then pay to get it repaired yourself

Problem solved and everyone is happy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family