We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buy newer car or keep old one?

2»

Comments

  • Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    In the present climate I am battening doiwn the hatches, no summer holiday this year etc.

    If it was me I would be keeping the devil I know for a year or two more until this economic nonsense is all sorted out.

    The Merc for all reasonable purposes is worthless (except to you) whilst you will probably be able to pick up a newer car a lot cheaper in a few months time.
  • Indout96
    Indout96 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Just one dissenting voice.;)

    No 2 of us now ;)
    The PUG looks good value at that price so long as you are not looking at doing massive mileage yourself. The Merc sounds to me like it is becoming a money pit. If you have the money spare I would change.
    Totally Debt Free & Mortgage Free Semi retired and happy
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Keep the Merc and run it into the ground. As has been said, it cannot depreciate any more. Just do enough to keep it road worthy. I don't imagine the insurance is very expensive as it cannot be worth insuring for more than 3rd party f&t. Or possibly 3rd party only.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    27col wrote: »
    Keep the Merc and run it into the ground. As has been said, it cannot depreciate any more. Just do enough to keep it road worthy. I don't imagine the insurance is very expensive as it cannot be worth insuring for more than 3rd party f&t. Or possibly 3rd party only.
    TPFT can be cheaper than TPO. Never assume TPO is cheaper, *always* check.
  • B u g ger ! It's not looking like a straight answer. The Merc insurance is very low (fully comp with More Than)....MOT due end of month, will see what is what. Thank you ALL.
  • mk_wotsit
    mk_wotsit Posts: 275 Forumite
    I'm an old banger fan!
    Keep the merc and just do the necessary MOT repairs and put the £2400 under your matress :beer:
    Best wins: ITV Real Deal CASH,Trip to Lapland.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.