We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Buy newer car or keep old one?

Hi all. This time i need your advise. I run a E200 Mercedes L reg. Basic car (manual windows"!!!) but engine/gearbox/clutch great as car very well looked after when it was part of our company pool. I now own it and apart from bodywork which is starting to look bad, all is ok (front break need some work done). Car has 156K miles.
I have a chance to buy a great looking immaculate 406 coupe Sept'03 - 53 registration with all mods and cons, leather seats etc (97K miles) which goes for £2400 which is a legit price for car age mileage etc.. The man selling it is mad about cars, and had it serviced regularly by a Peugeot dealer and everything that needed to be changed (cambelt at 65K miles, new exhaust, brake pads/discs, tyres) have been replaced.

If you were me......would you keep the Merc (and keep spending money for repairs when necessary or spend the £2400 (money is available on side account) on a good trusted car likely to last me years.

Thank you for advise.
«1

Comments

  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    keep the german, politely decline the french.

    What does Parkers.co.uk say about the 406 Coupe? Nice looking car I'll agree, but you need to know whether it's going to be as bulletproof as the MB
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • latecomer
    latecomer Posts: 4,332 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If the Merc is starting to have body trouble then its maybe worth considering changing it. As markelock says, check out the recommended prices on Parkers and remember that you'll also need to sell you own privately too.

    That said, at the end of the day its got to be your decision.
  • ........Well that's exactly why I am asking you guys, what would you do?

    Merc is worth £400 as it stands but boot cover is rusted internally, have had 2 x front wings changed. Wheel arches have been repaired with filler but it's a question of time before rust gets back through again.

    The 406 has the look (i don't care much for look) and is all in excellent condition.
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,155 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Rust never sleeps. If I were you, I'd go for the newer one. If you think it'll be reliable, go for it. but remember there are thousands of bargain cars out there. Spend a fortnight looking around, look at ten cars and make your choice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old style MoneySaving, Gardening, and Crafting boards. 
     If you need any help on these boards, please let me know.   Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators.
     Please report any posts you spot that are in breach of the Forum Rules by using the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Nile
    Nile Posts: 14,766 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    The 'Motoring & Public Transport' board is better suited for this thread, so I'll move it across.

    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]!!!!!![/EMAIL].

    Nile
    10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j [/COLOR]:cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. [/SIZE][/COLOR]Give blood, save a life. [/B]
  • anewman
    anewman Posts: 9,200 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Surprised an L reg Merc rotted as much as you describe. Sounds worse off than my similar aged Skoda. Rust can be dealt with but takes up lots of time more than anything, wire brushing, rust converter, filler, primer, paint etc etc. If things are done carefully and plenty of time taken, generally rust won't progress much further. All you really need to worry about in terms of rust though is the structural bits. Could be worth asking the opinion of an MOT tester if it's due an MOT soon.

    You could buy a tin of underbody seal for a tenner, and a pair of ramps for £30 from halfords and apply that underneath. http://www.toolstation.com/messages.html?code=41925&mainWin=1 is probably a good substitute for waxoyl to spray inside cavities, box sections, doors etc.

    I'd love to drive an old merc :D only thing would be insurance with where I live, would no doubt be getting near £3k.

    I would imagine repairs on the Merc in the next say, erm, 3-4 years wouldn't get to £2,400?!
  • i would sayy keep the car until the mot runs out then decide what to do
  • On a Merc of that age rust will be a concern, although replacement panels are readily available. The engine will run forever if serviced regularly.

    You may have an issue with the engine loom degrading, not sure if it happens on that age of Merc.

    Personally I'd keep it. It won't be depreciating any more - in 5 years you'll get the same as what it's worth right now. If it's an automatic consider having the gearbox fluid changed as it probably won't have been done yet.
  • General concensus is to keep the car, run it down to the ground and keep my money until really needed. Car gearbox is manual and goes through the motions like a dream. The bodywork is its only negative point. Thank you all for your time. Cheers and happy moneysaving.
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Mr_Warren wrote: »
    General concensus is to keep the car, run it down to the ground and keep my oney until really needed. Car gearbox is manual and goes through the motions like a dream. The bodywork is its only negative point. Thank you all for your time. Cheers and happy moneysaving.

    Just one dissenting voice.;)

    The Merc is past its sell by date.

    The Pug is a decent car at a good price and should see you through a good few years.

    I like Pugs.;)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.