Pice of String time - How long would 500Ltrs of Oil last?!

Options
Yes, I know it's a vague question.

Me and g/f have just moved into a house heated by oil and we will need to order some within the next week. The oil powers the central heating and the water.

We are planning on being as thrifty as possible, but would like some oil there. I have access to a portable gas heater, so we may use this for a couple of hours in the evening and bring down a blanket and snuggle up to keep warm. We have a fan heater to just 'top up' the bedroom and again will snuggle up warm in bed. House is very well insulated. She likes to have showers (which are electric powered), i do like a bath. I will have the water on for an hour in the evening and possibly in the morning. Its a 2 bed house.

Does anyone think (i know, but you are allowed to guess) if 500ltrs will be enough oil for the winter?

Thanks in advance,
craig

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know.

But two hours' water heating seems excessive for two of you - especially with an electric shower.

Also, I'd have thought electric heaters would be more expensive to run than oil CH (I know this is the case with gas CH). Portable gas heaters cause really bad condensation and there are health issues so I'd avoid that. In the interests of thrift - electric showers need to be short as they're power hungry.
  • paceinternet
    Options
    You don't say how many hours a day you will run the oil boiler heating.
    As an indication of how much they drink, I can suggest to you that averaging 1 hour in the morning and 6 at night, total 7 hours a day in an average sized house with average insulation can use 10 litres which will cost £5 a day at current 50p per litre.

So, you will have a challenge making 500 litres last 6 months, which we consider as the heating season beginning Oct to end March.

Best way forward is to monitor the level gauge, or dip the tank weekly and see what you are using.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure