Heating This Winter Help

Options
After reading the thread 'I can't afford to heat my home', i've decided to ask for a little advice.

I have what they say is an old style copper water tank in an airing cupboard - it says on the side - Immersion heater, combined thermostat.

2 winters ago, I went with no hot water, as my landlord 'did not get around to' fixing my boiler, so I know I can go without any hot water (Baths were kettle jobs!)

So, I have this immersion heater in the airing cupboard and a gas fire in the living room. I also have an electric convector heater in my bedroom and flatmate has the same in hers. This is the only heating we have.

I am unemployed through disability for the time being and money is tight. I already have unpayable Gas bill which I have offered to pay off slowly, but EDF seem to be not accepting.

With all this in mind

1. Is my gas fire the best and cheapest way to heat?

2. Based on a bath in the morning and evening (1 each), how long should I leave my immersion heater on in the morning/evening and how long before the bath?

I apologise if i'm lacking any information (sorry English is not my first language and don't know how to say it) lacking any detail that is important maybe? Such as power of immersion heater? or anything else?

I wish to save as much as possible as it will be tough to have no heating this winter.

I was always told that leaving immersion on all the time was cheaper than re-heating, but I see now this may not be right?

If anyone has any advice, it would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, in the past i've run a bath after flatmate around 1 hour 30 minutes later and it's been fine.

Only have bath. Not allowed by landlord to install shower :(

Will keep the gas fire in living room then. I always panic as flatmate sticks it on when I don't think it's that cold, so when she's not here, I don't have it on.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I would suggest cutting down the length of time the immersion heater is on by ten minutes a day until you find out the right length of time to heat for a bath. Last time I had one, it was much less than an hour, I think.

Is the gas fire your only heating?
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, I know 1 hour 30 is enough for a bath as flatmate has bathed before and then when she has finished, i've topped up the bath that length of time after she previously ran it.

I'll try knocking 10 mins off each time to see :)

Gas Fire and a convector heater in each bedroom is the only form of heating. Flatmate uses hers regularly, I barely use mine, although I don't spend anytime in my room from getting up to going to bed, so when really cold, a little heat before bedtime is all I shall use it for.
  • markelock
    markelock Posts: 1,735 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    is it possible to leave the accomodation and get something else? Landlord seems like a burk
    Remember the time he ate my goldfish? And you lied and said I never had goldfish. Then why did I have the bowl Bart? Why did I have the bowl?
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Can't really afford anything else. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure