Small Quantities of Oil?

Options
Hi There,

We have just moved into a place and it uses oil to power the central heating and water. Despite the recent drops in oil price (less than US$90 per barrel today!!), I appreciate it is still expensive and will cost me more than the price above anyway.

I work in a shop and can will have access to free gas (when people return a half empty bottle I can use it at no cost). SO will probably invest in a Portable Gas Heater for the winter.

Is it possible to buy small quantities of oil to tide us over for water etc, or do I need to buy tankfuls? I'm not sure how much the tank holds but will find out tomorrow hopefully. I honestly don't know much about oil, so please excuse me if this is a silly question. Also approximately what may it cost per litre? (I am Gloucestershire if that helps.)

Apologies again for my total dimness!!

Thanks,
Tom

Comments

• si-mate
    si-mate Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt you would find anyone who would deliver much less than 500 litres.
    You're currently looking around 50ppl. Check boilerjuice for a more accurate price for your area.
  • nesssie1702
    nesssie1702 Posts: 1,345 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Depending on the area that you live in you might be able to buy central heating oil at the petrol pumps - they sell it as red diesel.

When I get my fuel delivered, there's always a note saying "This fues is not to be used as Road Fuel"

So I guess you could buy it in small quanties if you can finds someone close to you who supplies farmers etc
  • owned_by_2_Siamese
    Options
    Be careful! Older oil boilers use heavy oil - so 'red diesel' is the same thing and will be OK BUT newer boilers (almost all nowadays) use kerosene (also called 28sec) this is NOT the same MOST boilers now use kerosene (you can have older ones converted) Heavy oil is dearer (check boiler juice) Dont be tempted to use red diesel if your system runs on Kersoene! Not 100% sure but I believe kerosene is paraffin so maybe that is the solution?
    My supplier will sell a container of kerosene but its much more expensive per litre than the tank fill. You might be better just getter 500 llrs and making it last (I wish!! 2500 lires a year for us!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure