PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rice

Hi,

Could any of you tell me if it is okay to reheat rice ?, my sister has told me not to because you can get bot...... can't spell it !! is that right ? I have loads of rissoto left over from last night and quite fancied it for lunch - obviously I don't want to make myself ill though !!

If you know - please could you enlighten me !

Thanks all in advance
Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee ;)

Comments

• Quackers
    Quackers Posts: 10,157 Forumite
    I remember reading once that its not good to reheat rice. I cant remember why though. :o

BUT, i reheat it all the time. Never had any problems. I let it cool and then put it in the fridge straight away. I'll also eat it a couple of days later with no probs. Just make sure its heated up well.
    Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    The usual advice is to cool the rice quickly and then chill in the fridge. reheating should be done until the rice is thoroughly heated and the guideline there is to go to above 70°C

A helpful government site is linked below:-

Safety and rice
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I've not died yet ;)
    New year, no debt! Debt free date - 02/01/07 :j :j :j :D
  • jack92
    jack92 Posts: 244 Forumite
    I reheat rice with no ill effects - so far!!! I cook the rice, then cool and refrigerate as soon as possible. I try to use it within a couple of days. I normally end up reheating the rice by frying it in a wok.

Nicola
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Rice naturally contains a nasty bug called Bacillus Cereus (Cereal bug) which multiplies very fast at temperatures above 5 degrees Celsius and can give you a horrible tummy upset. This bug is also quite heat-resistant and will not be killed by boiling at 100 Degrees Celsius (water boiling temperature) so the only way to kill it really is to fry rice in oil, which reaches much higher temperatures than water.

I know all this from my Food Hygiene certificate - having said that, I reheat rice in water (soup) all the time and sometimes I even leave it overnight on the cooker because I forget to refrigerate it (you are supposed to put it in refrigeration once cooled, within 2 hours). I haven't had any nasty surprise yet *touch wood*.

Ciao

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I frequently reheat rice to no ill effect.

Anthony Worrall Thompson was asked this on a cookery programme a few weeks ago and he said it is okay to reheat it once, but once only.
  • I often reheat rice, in fact I find the best fries rice is made from rice cooked the day before.
  • can you reheat rice? i know plenty of sick puppies who nuke last nights curry in the microwave and have it for breakfast.

Talking of rice i'm starving :( looks like a curry will be getting ordered soon.
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    can you reheat rice? i know plenty of sick puppies who nuke last nights curry in the microwave and have it for breakfast.

Never done that, but i've been tempted, it smells so darn good when you get up!
  • i've never done it and can't see it happening. If it doesn't get eaten in one go then it's in the bin.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure