PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Rice

Options
2»

Comments

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Options
    i've never done it and can't see it happening. If it doesn't get eaten in one go then it's in the bin.

I would never do it as i'd be concerned about the health aspect of eating room temp curry, but if i've gone to bed and left the curry plates in the sink (naughty I know!) next morning the curry still smells delicious!
  • scheming_gypsy
    Options
    the health aspects would probably be better if you live by my way of thinking.
    you need to build up a resistance to things and hiding away from it leaves you vulnerable.

Leaving dirty curry plates in the sink is a hanging offence..... you should lick them clean !!
  • Lulubells
    Options
    thanks for your advice - I decided not to reheat it after the first couple of replys, BUT I had already scoffed some whilst it was cold as I was abit peckish......then read it wasn't the reheating but the cooling process - and I had left mine on the hob covered for hours!!! whoops - nevermind I seem fine anyway!

Cheers
    Currently on a life sort-out !! ...reducing bills, decluttering and getting into fitness - busy bee ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Caterina wrote:
    Rice naturally contains a nasty bug called Bacillus Cereus (Cereal bug) which multiplies very fast at temperatures above 5 degrees Celsius and can give you a horrible tummy upset. This bug is also quite heat-resistant and will not be killed by boiling at 100 Degrees Celsius (water boiling temperature) so the only way to kill it really is to fry rice in oil, which reaches much higher temperatures than water.

I know all this from my Food Hygiene certificate - having said that, I reheat rice in water (soup) all the time and sometimes I even leave it overnight on the cooker because I forget to refrigerate it (you are supposed to put it in refrigeration once cooled, within 2 hours). I haven't had any nasty surprise yet *touch wood*.

Ciao

Caterina

Oh Dear, I love rice pud but as I live on my own find that a baked pud doesn't get eaten all in one day,I usually finish it up the following day.I always put it in the fridge after it gets cold though.Does this mean I've been eating some odd bug or is pudding rice different.You've got me worried now, I don't seem to have had any ill-effects though. I hate tinned rice as it's just not as good as a warming home-made rice pud with a wrinckly brown skin on the top. I also make semolina pud as well that lasts two-days.
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Beware of rice in pubs etc, lots of these places use rice steamers and hot plates and you have no idea if the cooked rice is fresh or not. I had a bad experience last year in Amsterdam. Ruined my holiday.

yours

Eamon
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    JackieO wrote:
    Oh Dear, I love rice pud but as I live on my own find that a baked pud doesn't get eaten all in one day,I usually finish it up the following day.I always put it in the fridge after it gets cold though.Does this mean I've been eating some odd bug or is pudding rice different.You've got me worried now, I don't seem to have had any ill-effects though. I hate tinned rice as it's just not as good as a warming home-made rice pud with a wrinckly brown skin on the top. I also make semolina pud as well that lasts two-days.

Hi JackieO,

I know all the theory and spout it out freely, but still eat reheated rice - this is a case of 'do as I say, don't do as I do'... sorry to have worried you, but the truth is that we do run a risk when reheating rice, but then, hey, life is dangerous!

Love

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure