Heating a listed building?

Options
Hello,

I live in a top-floor flat, which happens to be sat a listed building (built in 1880).

The windows are all single-glazed sash windows, the walls seem reasonably thick, but I don't think they have any meaningful insulation built into them.

We have a pretty significant loft space, which comes into the flat in three places (one of which is my room). There's no insulation in the roof. I was thinking of getting some quilts off free cycle and using those to insulate the roof space.

We're heated by storage heaters. We've got 5 of them for the 2 bedrooms, living room, hallway and kitchen. I've only just (yesterday) used the one in my room.

Last electric bill we had, over the summer, was £68. That includes some heavy computer usage.

How shall I go about keeping the place warm without spending a fortune? I'm a student and as such I have next to no budget at all. I live with my brother, who's not in full time education.

edit: I've had a read around the forums on using storage heaters already, and have followed advice of leaving the output on 1 and the input somewhere between 3 and 4, depending on the weather.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure