🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Benefits - Rock and hard place

Options
I'm unsure where this post should be located ... :o

Health issues have precluded me from working Full Time for 5 or so years although I have/do manage intermittent agency work (temping) with an income of around ~ 7K per annum incl of JSA. I claimed zero benefits for more than 3 years + relying on savings/assets with abandon!

I'm now at the stage where I have sold ALL my assets, have no further savings and must sell my small property as I can no afford to maintian it (Valued @ ~£60K 2005 & owed outright). Not ideal in today's market but needs must!

Will this preclude me from any benefits whatsoever until I reach the £8K threshold (or £16K maximum to be precise at last check)?

I require ~£10K for private medical assistance leaving the option of buying something cheaper (not really realistic but things are pretty cheap here) or just blowing the lot thus being able to claim benefit (not something I subscribe to).

Rock & Hard Place .. as I said :eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The savings limits are as follows for means tested benefits,under 6k no problem between 6k and 16k benefits reduced by £1 for every £250 of savings,over 16k no benefits payable.
    If you spend your cash it may be deemed as deprivation of capital and you may be treated as though you still had it,it all depends what you spend it on,and the rules for that are complex and its an idea to check with decision maker at the dwp
  • I-Dont-Do-Debt
    Options
    Thanks for the reply & correction ... £8K my error :o

I'm selling my final asset in order to finance a hopefully quick, simple but expensive medical intervention at my expense. I see your point though maybe I should contact DWaP and be clear on my intentions/reasons or maybe sell up get the treatment & just travel the world for a year or die trying ;)
  • ecgirl07
    ecgirl07 Posts: 662 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If your home is owned outright why dont you take out a small amount of equity from it to pay for your medical needs. That would leave you a balance of an investment and a small mortgage to pay. Try posting on the mortgage forum for advice on how to best release the equity. best of luck with your procedure.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    If you can work part-time due to health problems, could you not get Working Tax Credit?
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • I-Dont-Do-Debt
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

I cannot get any form of remortgage as work is intermittent/temporary i.e. I have no fixed income. In the present market the only solution is vulture equity profiteers. Needs must I suppose :(

I'll try the mortgage forum to see if there are other options.

As for working tax credits ... that's certainly possible as my salary is less than 15K p/a but then I do not currently work 12 months a year and simply prepare a tax return and have tax overpayments repaid.

I have a medical solution with 90% success rate which means raising £5-10K. I'm very fortunate that I have this private medical option just unsure how to realise it without losing everything I've worked for i.e. sell my property and be considered affluent enough to support myself until the money runs out!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

I cannot get any form of remortgage as work is intermittent/temporary i.e. I have no fixed income. In the present market the only solution is vulture equity profiteers. Needs must I suppose :(

I'll try the mortgage forum to see if there are other options.

As for working tax credits ... that's certainly possible as my salary is less than 15K p/a but then I do not currently work 12 months a year and simply prepare a tax return and have tax overpayments repaid.

I have a medical solution with 90% success rate which means raising £5-10K. I'm very fortunate that I have this private medical option just unsure how to realise it without losing everything I've worked for i.e. sell my property and be considered affluent enough to support myself until the money runs out!

I`m curious,or as the wife would say nosey:confused: but isnt the treatment avaliable on the NHS?
  • I-Dont-Do-Debt
    Options
    woodbine wrote: »
    I`m curious,or as the wife would say nosey:confused: but isnt the treatment avaliable on the NHS?

Yes, of course! 5 years later I've found a private option which I wish to pursue .. wouldn't you?
  • Kavanne
    Kavanne Posts: 5,093 Forumite
    Options
    You've been waiting 5 yrs on the NHS for this treatment!? Yikes that is ridiculous....
    Kavanne
    Nuns! Nuns! Reverse!

'I do my job, do you do yours?'

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Yes, of course! 5 years later I've found a private option which I wish to pursue .. wouldn't you?

TBH NO i wouldnt i`d be jumping up and down complaining to the nhs then my mp that i`d been made to wait 5 years
  • bestpud
    bestpud Posts: 11,048 Forumite
    Options
    For wtc you need to be working more than 16 hours a week, on average.

Therefore, you can still claim and they will pay you based on your estimated earnings and then finalise it when you get to the end of your finiancial year and have the tax sorted.

Are you prepared to post what the procedure is, as there may be people on here who can help.

I'm with woodbine on this one - if it is available on the NHS but you are bieng forced to wait this long then I'd be going all out to get it sooner.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport