Investment ISA move

Options
Can this ISA be moved? If so does anyone have a recommendation as to where would be best?

background
I have Enduring Power of Attorney over my Fathers financial affairs and up until June this year all of his funds were held in a portfolio (mostly stocks and shares) managed by Barclays Wealth. In June I decided that it was time to exit the stock market and asked them to liquidate everything except the ISA and this they did. I then decided to transfer the ISA to the Halifax, they said it would take a few weeks, but nothing happened, I filled in another form and waited another month. I have just received a letter from the Halifax to say that Barclays Wealth informed them that the ISA is a stocks and shares ISA and can’t be transferred to them. I should have realised that this was an investment ISA, but with the rush to sort out the stocks and shares I had overlooked this point.

I would not recommend Barclays Wealth to anyone as they have been absolutely hopeless. After my mother passed away in May I was even asked (by a member of Barclays Wealth staff) if I wanted the funds from her ISA transferred to my fathers ISA account or to my father’s current account! icon9.gif

Comments

• Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I would say that you have probably had a lucky escape - moving from one high street bank's investment product to another high street bank's one sounds potentially like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

Yes, you can transfer a Stocks & Shares ISAs but only into another Stocks & Shares ISA - see http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/leaflets/isa-factsheet.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure