DLA and Sleep Aponea

Options
1235»

Comments

• alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    But you can't claim DLA on the basis that you can't clean your own home.
    No you are right you cannot claim DLA because you can't clean your own home, however if someone is awarded DLA and they can't clean and their home is becoming an hazard then there is no reason why they can't use their DLA money to pay for a cleaner.
  • BatOutOfUll
    BatOutOfUll Posts: 85 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2010 at 8:41PM
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    You'd live off ESA because you can't work.

Sorry what's ESA? I'm unfamiliar with this acronym?
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

The new Incapacity Benefit that 70% of people fail the medical for and I doubt sleep apneona sufferes would pass the medical when cancer sufferes who are having chemo dont.

people awarded HRC DLA are failing the PCA for ESA.
  • jewelly
    jewelly Posts: 513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options

In full - Employment and Support Allowance
  • SuziQ
    SuziQ Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure Sleep Apnoea is covered under the Disability Discrimation Act if so then shouldn't anyone who has it get DLA or incapacity benefit?

Last year I had a stoma following treatment for cancer,this also put me in the category of disabled-on paper. I had help with my care for the first few weeks after my operation,as would anyone after major surgery,and then got on with it. I know of people who have applied for,and been awarded, DLA for having a stoma. In my opinion they do not have the care needs that would make you eligible for DLA,but still they applied and got it and told me to apply too. I felt it was totally unecessary and wrong (for me in any case),and I am sure the same applies to Sleep apnoea-some people may have care needs that make them eligible,others won't. People constantly ignore the fact that it is awarded on your care and/or mobility need,not a diagnosis.

When friends,colleagues and my nurses found out I had cancer,every one of them told me to apply for DLA. Even the macmillan nurse,who supposedly knew a lot about the benefit system. Having applied for my youngest child and for other people when I was a Health Visitor I knew enough about it to know that I wasn't eligible, wasn't going to waste the assessors time applying, and certainly wasn't going to describe my 'worst day' as my life in order to get it. I honestly feel that DLA will be one of the first benefits to be revised/got rid of when the inevitable shake up of our benefit system occurs. Hopefully something will replace it for those who genuinely fit the category.
    Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure