Options

Comments

• Loopy_Girl
    Loopy_Girl Posts: 4,444 Forumite
    Options
    This thread was started in 2008!!!:eek:
  • sandraroffey
    Options
    my ex husband was given one by the NHS. no way do you have to pay for one, unless you havent been formally diagnosed of course.

and it made a shed load of difference. the only thing you have to remember is that as far as dvla are concerned, it is a notifiable condition; you are not supposed to drive.
  • BatOutOfUll
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    The name of the diagnosis is irrelevant. if you (or anyone else with SA) doesn't have any needs, then you don't qualify. Simple as that.

But if you can't hold down a job because of Sleep Apnoea then you cannot claim JSA or IS either so what would you live off? That was the point of my post, sorry if I wasn't clear.

In short if anyone is sacked for sleeping at work due to this condition and Sleep Apnoea is a 'disability' then you cannot claim JSA as you can't look for work, (employers aren't going to employ you knowing you're going to be asleep)
  • BatOutOfUll
    Options
    Oh yes, I realise that as a friend of mine has it treated with a CPAP on the NHS, so I wondered why the poster above was having to pay £800 for one. Still puzzled as to why.

Depends on your Health Authority eg the NHS 'Lottery' and the area you live in same as some drugs are not available

My friend moved to West Yorkshire in order to keep his CPAP treatment on the NHS.

BTW I've been refered back to the ENT for posible surgery but meantime may lose my job. When I found this thread I 'bumped' it back up in the hope to find out if anyone with SA had sucessfully claimed DLA. or Incapacity. I certainly would struggle on Income Support alone and it's hardly my fault I have this condition.

I WANT to work but the struggle to stay awake for 8 hours plus the commute is getting harder the older I get.
  • Oldernotwiser
    Oldernotwiser Posts: 37,425 Forumite
    Options
    If you feel unable to fight the NHS on this, it might be worthwhile shopping around for a machine as they seem to be available for less than the price you've mentioned.

Although still expensive, it could be one of the few things in life worth taking out a loan for, if it would enable you to keep your job.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    But if you can't hold down a job because of Sleep Apnoea then you cannot claim JSA or IS either so what would you live off? That was the point of my post, sorry if I wasn't clear.

In short if anyone is sacked for sleeping at work due to this condition and Sleep Apnoea is a 'disability' then you cannot claim JSA as you can't look for work, (employers aren't going to employ you knowing you're going to be asleep)

You'd live off ESA because you can't work.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    That's an interesting point because I just can't use my CPAP machine. Can't cope with it at all and whenever I do remember to wear it, it really doesn't affect me in any aspect. I live on my own, but I guess if someone was with me then they'd certainly have to make sure I wore it.

(Not that it would do any good mind :))

You've been very helpful. Thanks :)

While I'd agree there's nothing that overly affects your mobility, there are other factors that do sometimes need a bit of a nudge in the right direction.

My mum does come over a few times a week just to help keep the place clean and tidy because more often than not, i'm just too tired to bother. She also does some shopping for me for "real" food because I usually tend to just get quick and convenient stuff because I can never be bothered to cook anything.

It also does cause frequent bouts of depression which vary in severity, so again she has to trapse all the way over from Gravesend in Kent to Essex by public transport to give me the appropriate kick up the backside and drag me out of the flat.

So there is a degree of needing help there, but i'm just not sure if it would apply to DLA.

dla do not take cleaning or shopping into consideration for care needs as other agencys can do this ie local social service home help dept.
  • alwaysonthego_2
    Options
    dla do not take cleaning or shopping into consideration for care needs as other agencys can do this ie local social service home help dept.
    I think you will find that DLA care can include shopping and cleaning. Not everyone is entitled to free care from SS for their shopping and cleaning and therefore DLA care component would help a client pay for a cleaner/carer or to buy ready made meals etc.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you will find that DLA care can include shopping and cleaning. Not everyone is entitled to free care from SS for their shopping and cleaning and therefore DLA care component would help a client pay for a cleaner/carer or to buy ready made meals etc.

But you can't claim DLA on the basis that you can't clean your own home.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • richard9991
    richard9991 Posts: 1,618 Forumite
    Options
    sh1305 wrote: »
    But you can't claim DLA on the basis that you can't clean your own home.
    Here it is
    What is Disability Living Allowance for Care?

This is to help you cope with the personal care or support needs because of physical difficulties or mental health problems. This may range from needing help with cooking a main meal for yourself, to needing help with personal care during the day or night.
    What does 'personal care' or 'support' mean?
    Help with personal care covers most of the things you might do to look after yourself. For instance you might need help to get up, wash, get dressed, use the toilet, take your medication, cook a hot meal, eat and drink, sleep, or make sure you don't hurt yourself or somebody else. It does not include help with shopping or cleaning. 'Support' is when you might be physically able to do things, but because of mental health problems you need someone to remind, encourage, persuade or support you to do these things.
    You can also claim help for care if you need someone close by to help you avoid the risk of accidents or danger, for example: you might be unsteady, have sudden attacks or have blackouts. You might find it hard to make simple decisions and need quite a lot of support because of mental health problems.
    Recent court decisions make it easier for people with sight, hearing problems or learning difficulties to get Disability Living Allowance for Care. For instance you may need someone to read letters or papers to you, to communicate with others on your behalf or to have a proper social life.
    For babies and children, you need to show that they need a lot more care than a child of the same age who is not disabled, so it is a good idea to get advice from an adviser if you want to claim Disability Living Allowance for a child.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure