🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

uRGENT -MAYBE SCAMMED.

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    tirlittan wrote: »
    Ok. So maybe not exactly scammed -yet anyway.
    Fingers crossed that the only "scam" is the hard sell you'll get when you go and you'll love the photos and have "paid for them already" and they'll be a special offer on if you buy such and such and...
    And hopefully you'll be able to say "no thank you" and just get the free one.

Or can I cancel the deposit by calling my credit card and not let them take it out???
    I don't know that this is legal, is it?
  • tirlittan
    tirlittan Posts: 3,397 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Even if they say it is refundable? Just found the scam thread about coverlook photoshoots. I hate when I make costly mistakes. Never ever again.:mad:
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts!
  • tirlittan
    Options
    Well hopefully it's a lovely day out, I say no thanks for photos and get my money back.

Thanks peeps.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
  • tirlittan
    Options
    What did you have to pay a 'deposit' for anyway?

They said it was to make sure I would show up as other people had got this prize, booked a day, but then not shown up.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
  • bengal-stripe
    Options
    If you can’t say ‘no’ on the telephone, you are even less likely to say ‘no’
    when you are physically surrounded (by more than one person, I presume)
    and they are using hard-sell tactics on you.
  • tirlittan
    Options
    If you can’t say ‘no’ on the telephone, you are even less likely to say ‘no’
    when you are physically surrounded (by more than one person, I presume)
    and they are using hard-sell tactics on you.

I can see what you think bengal-stripe, but sometimes I can have these momentarily madness things especially on phone when I say yes to something cos I'm not thinking straight, and then immediately regret. On the other hand, if I'm face to face with people, I weirdly feel easier to say no to people. Also, I'll be prepared now when I go, cos I already feel annoyed about it and I'm taking two friends with me.

But I think, another lesson learned. Which I should've learned already cos I don't by mobile contracts over the phone either anymore. Over the phone, I'm gonna say no, whatever it is I can "get".
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
  • pink_marshmallow
    Options
    i nearly got caught by this one too.they are very persauasive and persistent. when i said i'd never heard of a prize you had to pay for i got passed to someone else. they have a well rehearsed script.

you're not the only one, i nearly got scammed for the gymn one not so long ago.

at least other people will be wise to it now.
  • JayZed
    JayZed Posts: 731 Forumite
    Options
    tirlittan, Exposure is the same company as Studio64. See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=250695 and various other threads on this site (do a Google search on site:forums.moneysavingexpert.com studio64).

As I understand it, when you go to your photoshoot you will be pressured to buy extremely expensive photos. If you resist the strong-arm hard sell and decline to buy the photos, then in theory your deposit should be refunded a week after the photoshoot. I see no evidence that anyone's ever managed to get their deposit refunded, though.
  • tirlittan
    Options
    One of my friends won something like this awhile ago. I think it was all free, but then they fell to the "buying the photos cos they were great" thing. But now I'm wondering, if I keep to my steely determination (that I'm now building cos so annoyed I fell for it) of not buying any photos, will I actually get my deposit back. If I don't, I'll make sure the company will regret it.

Feel soooo stupid cos really, I should've known better.
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
  • tirlittan
    Options
    Thanks JayZed. I did find the thread for coverlooks which seems exactly the same. But that's what I'm wondering, will I get my deposit back if I don't buy any photos? Remains to be seen.

Also, better do it soon, as if I don't get my deposit back, then have to pay it of my credit card before any interest gets added on it.

Was feeling really nice and positive about it yesterday and now just thinking "why did I fall for it?"
    DEBT FREE OCTOBER 2012!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills