PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

FTB - 1st viewing advice

Options
Hi,

Relevant back story: We are based in uxbridge and houses vanish from the market in less than a week due to buy-to-let people. There is 1 uni campus & 2 colleges here & it's commuting distance to london. My OH & I are FTB, & we have an agreement in principle for the full asking price from the bank.

So:

We're going to see our 1st property tomorrow that only came onto the market a week ago. It's on a road we been going "would be nice.." about for a while. From the description & placing we would really like the house - it is priced correctly (based on old sales & others for sale right now). Obviously all this changes if it's awful.

The thing is that I would like to make a lower offer, but given the local market situation I don't want to lose out to someone who will just pay the lot. The mortage broker at the bank kindly let us know that given the uxbridge market if we wanted to go slightly above the asking price it would still be within our credit limits.

Edit for clarification: Mortgage broker's idea not mine.

What are people's opinions?

Also - I have a checklist of all the questions that need answering & things to look for in the house. What I would like advice on is little things that might go wrong & little things that might help.
For example, is it a good or bad idea to mention that the other 2 houses for sale in the area are £5k cheaper. I do know why they are cheaper - slightly smaller & location (which is why we're not looking at them).

Essentially, how do we seem keen but not gullible/naive FTB?

thanks,
Frugglewump
Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!

Comments

• meanmachine_2
    Options
    My opinion is that Uxbridge is a dump.

If you want to pay OVER the asking price then knock yourself out. You clearly have more money than sense.

EDIT: Forgive me for being blunt. I've looked on findaproperty. As you say, not much to buy. But what there is doesn't seem to have been snapped up. I think I've spotted one sold sign so far.

By the way, I still think it's a dump.

Good luck!
  • hobo28
    hobo28 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    Options
    hey, meanmachine, that was a bit harsh. It is still possible to get in a bidding war for houses even in todays market.
  • meanmachine_2
    Options
    Quite right hobo. I was too harsh.

But FTBers are preyed on by agents and the like and the OP sounds a bit, well, naive.
  • frugglewump
    Options
    My opinion is that Uxbridge is a dump.

I agree - however this is where the best research in my area is being done
    If you want to pay OVER the asking price then knock yourself out. You clearly have more money than sense.

I don't *want* to - that is rather the whole point.
    EDIT: Forgive me for being blunt. I've looked on findaproperty. As you say, not much to buy. But what there is doesn't seem to have been snapped up. I think I've spotted one sold sign so far.

They have a *very* annoying habit - most of the property you see online will actually be sold they just don't say so. I've called up several agents to enquire about a property only to be told it's been sold, sometimes up to 9 months ago. On asking why it was still being advertised without an 'under offer' or something tag I was told that was normal.
    By the way, I still think it's a dump.

Good luck!

Thanks.
  • frugglewump
    Options
    Quite right hobo. I was too harsh.

But FTBers are preyed on by agents and the like and the OP sounds a bit, well, naive.

Thankyou. I do actually prefer spoken to bluntly.

I know i sound naive - that would be because I am.

Although I know technically how this all goes obviously I have never done this before. We weren't planning on buying for another couple of years, but an affordable house rather than a flat is worth looking at.

I'll translate the 2nd part of the post(after the also):

I don't know how to attend a viewing without letting naivety show and screwing up my chances of getting a lower offer accepted. What are the stupid questions / comments that should be avoided?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi frugglewump,

Look beyond the furniture - it's going! If you can't get a feel for the size of a room, then look up at the ceiling and try and imagine that as the floor. It's a Kirsty Allsop classic, but it works for me.

Don't mention other houses to the vendor. There's no need and you'll probably upset them. If you want to use the others as a reason for offering lower than the asking price then tell this to the agent at the relevant time.

Please don't offer over asking price!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Debras_Angel
    Options
    Thankyou. I do actually prefer spoken to bluntly.

I know i sound naive - that would be because I am.

Although I know technically how this all goes obviously I have never done this before. We weren't planning on buying for another couple of years, but an affordable house rather than a flat is worth looking at.

I'll translate the 2nd part of the post(after the also):

I don't know how to attend a viewing without letting naivety show and screwing up my chances of getting a lower offer accepted. What are the stupid questions / comments that should be avoided?

Hi,

Just ignore the rude comments.

Try not to look too keen if you really like it. Don't agree and nod with everything the owner says. Don't let on that this is your first viewing and don't be too friendly as that way they can get lots of information from you through unexpected questions.

You don't have to be rude by not answering them but you just need to be ready with another question to throw at them.

Just relax and remember it's a buyers market! and at this time of year any buyer through the door is a godsend...I know as mine is on the market now.

Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

Debs
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    You won't look naive. Most people, even those selling, aren't property pros. Most of what people do is look, not talk anyway.
    Also, after your viewing, give feedback. I really appreciate the person who can tell me to my face why they don't want the house. I would rather someone say 'It's lovely but the bedroom is too small' on the day, than pretend to love it and leave me hanging. If you feel you can't say it to the vendor, be honest with the EA. Remember that someone has probably spent hours cleaning for you and even if you don't want their house, feedback that will help them sell is the next best thing.
  • Debras_Angel
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote:
    You won't look naive. Most people, even those selling, aren't property pros. Most of what people do is look, not talk anyway.
    Also, after your viewing, give feedback. I really appreciate the person who can tell me to my face why they don't want the house. I would rather someone say 'It's lovely but the bedroom is too small' on the day, than pretend to love it and leave me hanging. If you feel you can't say it to the vendor, be honest with the EA. Remember that someone has probably spent hours cleaning for you and even if you don't want their house, feedback that will help them sell is the next best thing.

Hi,

I agree with doozergirl, I really wish people would be honest when they view as it gives you a chance to do something about the negative. If you get enough feedback on one all the time then you know you need to sort. I'm not afraid to let people know when I view, but never in an out of hand way.

Debs
  • Doozergirl
    Options
    Try not to look too keen if you really like it. Don't agree and nod with everything the owner says. Don't let on that this is your first viewing and don't be too friendly as that way they can get lots of information from you through unexpected questions.

I don't understand this. As a first time buyer who has already spoken to a mortgage broker and is in a great position to proceed, you have absolutely nothing to hide and should, in fact, feel very confident.

In fact, it's the vendor that should worry about talking too much and letting things slip!

I also don't get why people think they shouldn't be friendly. I've sold enough properties and I still always want to sell to someone I like!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure