Forum Home» How much have you saved?

Can Mr & Mrs Average save £100,000 - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Can Mr & Mrs Average save £100,000

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in How much have you saved?
19 replies 3.8K views
2»

Replies

• I have a secret dream to buy a house out right, so I wish you luck in your mission.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • OMG!!! There are some huge numbers here! I feel kind of ashamed for setting a measely £8k for silly things by next march (that said - not doing too bad so far.)

Good luck mrsaverage! I'm sure you can do it! Go, go, go!!!
    (I've the same secret dream as mummytofour - just not sure I'll ever get there! :p )
  • redrabbit29redrabbit29 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Subscribed.

Good luck with your mission. I think the others are right about having one overall goal but lots of smaller ones. E.g. Try to reach 10'000 by March or something, or a small figure by December 31st.

You can actually count down then, because at the minute 99'xxx doesn't mean much.

Good luck, keep the updates coming.
    Amo L'Italia
  • lilian1977lilian1977 Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just subscribed as me and my boyf are saving for a deposit - he's not as motivated as me so it'll help to have some guidelines!

Good luck with achieving your dream xx

My debt free diary
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
  • oystercatcheroystercatcher Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well done Mrs Average, I think we are at a similar stage of life and you have inspired me !

I have always dreamed of having a second home, just a little holiday cottage somewhere nice in the UK.
    Maybe this is achievable.
    I shall a have a think when I am lying awake tonight and see how the figures work out.
    I find it hard to predict income as we will be funding one at Uni in Sept 2009 and another one in Sept 2010 (If they work hard enough!)
    I'm sure when they are not here we can make life much simpler and live more cheaply though.
    I'll be keeping an eye out for you

Oystercatcher
  • zoegirl wrote: »
    So you need to get 20k a year.

Mrs Average,

Great to set goals and excellent to dream big. But like ZoeGirl, I immediately translated your dream into numbers and wondered if 20k/year was realistic? You said your joint income was roughly 40k/year (presumably net) otherwise it looked a little on the bold side to me.

Don't want to appear negative and am a firm believer in aiming high, yet all goals are supposed to be SMART (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant & timely.) So it's just the A that I'm querying. :)

But I'm also going to subscribe to see how you get on. Good luck.
  • Little_ChickenLittle_Chicken Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    What a great goal. Good luck. It can be done. Some of the people on here have done amazing things! xxx
    :grin: Save me from spending...
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2008 - £1004:T 2009 - £1139 2010 - £1260 :j 2011 - £1557 2012 - £740 :beer: No 195 Target £1k
  • jo_b_2jo_b_2 Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Just wanted to add my good wishes! Don't forget to keep back here regularly and let us all know how you're getting on. I like reading these sort of diaries as they keep me motivated too! :D
  • I have set my self the target of giving my boys £10000 for there 21Sts. The first is in December, the next 18 months away. I have the money for the 1st and £7500 for the next. I generally put away £1000 a month and make myself last on what is left. This can be tricky, i always have a very lean 4th week but get there
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support