Re: Phone call scam- calls you at £20 per min!!

I think this tyoe of email that your friend received is one of the scam ones, designed to frighten people.

If you check on the various telecom sites it will confirm that if you hang up your telephone line the charges stop, you are no longer connected to the caller so you cannot be incurring charges. In the 'old' days of manual exchanges it was possible to remain connected if someone didn't pull a plug, but that sort of exchange went out years ago.

Secondly, the highest per minute charge rate is £1.50. Still appalling, but nowhere near the £20 quoted in the e mail.

I dislike this type of spoof mail or urban legend as they are designed to frighten vulnerable people.

Soo
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• According to BT's website the most expensive premium rate numbers begin 09997 at £5.92 per minute!
    Nice to save.
  • I keep on hearing about scams like this. The last one I heard was about when you get a knock on the door by a damsel in distress whose car has broke down. She wants to borrow your phone to ring her husband. Instead she rings a £50 per minute premium line she had set up.

I am not sure if these stories are exaggerated to make the point or are totally made up but I do agree it is scare mongering.

Also some stories are signed off by some detective or police department to add authenticity.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,198 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    They are made up to scare people. My elderly mother in law was told an urban myth about fake BT engineers listening in on houses to see if they were empty so they could burgle them. She was told that these burgulars used the green telephone junction boxes and the day she was told this there was an engineer working in the next road.

She is already terrified of being burgled or mugged and believed the print out of the e mail that her neighbour showed her that these people preyed on elderly ladies. She was also told she couldn't phone someone for help as then of course the burgular would know as he was listening on the line and would hurt her.

By the time another neighbour found her she had spent hours locked in her house terrified to move and unable to phone anyone. It made her very ill. The ironic (not) part of it was that the neighbour who originally told her the story was a policeman and when we complained he just said that he didn't think anyone was daft enough to fall for these urban myths.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Obeywan - this is an urban myth. There's also one about a delivery driver who mis-delivers and asks to use ur phone to call the depot to check address.

Urban myths are silly stories made up by very sad and bored people and then spammed to all and sundry in the hopes it gets famous. This in turn gives the geeks a real kick so they get working on another air-brained idea.

If you do a google search you'll find a few funny sites. Snopes.com I belive has some good ones.
    Watch out people. You don't know what lurks around the corner for you![/SIZE]
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    However, there is 0800 REVERSE which allows callers to make a reverse charge to you which you can accept by pressing 9. The charges are not £20 per min but are not cheap either. £2.50 connection and between 10p and 40p per minute (min call 3 minutes). Check out https://www.0800reverse.co.uk in particular the code of practice. See also the rates at

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Inland_Operator.boo/2106.htm

note that peak period is 7am to 9pm EVERY DAY (inc weekends).
  • You can either elect on this web site to Not receive any 0800 reverse numbers or just listen in and let the computer run its course. It gives up after a short while, if you just put the phonr down it keeps ringing again.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    Saw one of my friends yesterday and she told me about this recorded message she keeps getting which waffles on for a bit and then asks her to press 9. It has even been recorded on her anserwing machine so this is not an urban myth. However, she did not press 9 so does not know how much they would cost if she did press 9.
  • sahmed_2
    sahmed_2 Posts: 27 Forumite
    I have received this recorded call 6/7 times. Once my wife pressed number 9 and got charged over £9.

When you hang up the line dosen't cut for a while. If you pick up in a minute the massage still running there untill finish.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is not an urban myth!

I have had this phone call......I'd won a holiday, press 9 etc etc. I hung up, but if my 10 year old had answered it may have been a different story.

This scam was highlighted on the local Northern Ireland News earlier this week. The report said that if you did press 9 you could be charged up to £1000.00. Apparently there is nothing that can be done to stop it, as the call originates outside the Uk.

Pink
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes it is an urban myth.

From the horses mouth:

http://www.icstis.org.uk/icstis2002/default.asp?node=-1

Quoting:

UPDATED: WEDNESDAY 24 NOVEMBER 2004

£20 PER MINUTE AND £50 PER MINUTE TELEPHONE 'SCAMS' - URBAN MYTHS

Over the last few days, ICSTIS has received dozens of enquiries about the above 'scams', which are being widely publicised by e-mail. To help us put an end to the current spate of enquiries, please pass this information on to all contacts.

In the first case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a recorded message informing them that they have won an all-expenses paid holiday and are asked to press 9 to hear further details. It is then claimed that callers are connected to a £20.00 per minute premium rate line that will still charge them for a minimum of five minutes even if they disconnect immediately. It is also claimed that, if callers stay connected, the entire message costs £260.00.

In the second case, the apparent 'deception' takes place when people receive a missed call from a number beginning 0709. It is then claimed that, if callers dial this number, they are connected to a £50.00 per minute premium rate line.

Please note that these stories are NOT true.

£20.00 per minute and £50.00 per minute premium rate tariffs do not exist - the highest premium rate tariff available is £1.50 per minute. Despite the dozens of enquiries received by ICSTIS about these 'scams' (and most people appear to have heard about them second or third-hand), not one person who claims that it has actually happened to them has been able to produce a phone bill to support their story.

ICSTIS urges any individual or organisation that receives an e-mail about these 'scams' to delete it immediately. Please do NOT forward it to others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure