£3000. ISA or ING Interest (4mths)

I would really appreciate your help working out some interest rates:

What is the difference in interest between saving £3000 for 4 months

Abbey Postal ISA

Or

Ing Direct

The money is currently sitting in ING. Is it worth moving the money?

Basic rate taxpayer.

Comments

• deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Your getting 20% tax deducted - So if both the accounts were the same gross % - you would be 20% (interest) better of in an ISA

Move it to the ISA ! you will be better off even taking accoutn of the 4 day transfer time. I guess at about £9 or £10 better off over 4 months.
  • thanks for the reply.

i do know that ISA is usually the first place to stash the cash. i'm just not sure if it's worth the hassle as
    it's a Postal ISA so it will be more than four days.

here are the rates:

Abbey Postal ISA 5.35% tax free p.a./AER

ING DIRECT 5.0% AER

(ING Gross: 4.89 Net: 3.91)
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    £3000 in ING earns 32.15p net of tax per day.

£3000 in the Abbey ISA would earn 43.97p per day.

Every day in the ISA will earn 11.82p extra.

Say it takes 10 days to transfer to the ISA; during that period you will lose £3.22 interest you would have earned at ING. You will recoup that lost interest in 28 days in the ISA and will be around £11 better off at the end of 4 months (which is pretty much what deemy2004 said).
  • johnllew... all the aer/compound interest stuff just goes over my head. i'm really grateful to you for taking the time to work this out for me for both accounts and going into the important details. whencounting the pennies and the pounds this is exactly the kind of help i was looking for. :)

thank you both for your help.
  • Walletwatch
    Walletwatch Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Opened an Abbey postal ISA at the branch for my wife and meself, and the guy at the branch went out of his way to help me out - to avoid the four day loss of interest, I withdrew the amount in cash, and deposited it at the branch (inspite of this not generally entertained for postal ISAs) thanx to the guys there...
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Anyone can deposit cash into a Postal ISA at a branch - it's just an account number.
  • Walletwatch
    Walletwatch Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Well, that certainly is not what is specified in the T&Cs. Maybe they extend the courtesy of accepting money for deposit OTC for postal ISAs (which I very much doubt)

But having worked for a bank personally, I know it is well within their rights to refuse to accept cash deposits into postal ISAs. After all, that is the point for which they offer you the carrot of a better rate than the branch-based ISA
    It's always the grass that suffers, irrespective of whether the elephants are fighting or making love !!!
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Anyone can deposit cash into a Postal ISA at a branch - it's just an account number.

I doubt it! That is why it is called a postal account! If you could do it at the branch it would be a branch account!
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Then equally you'd expect them to not accept BACS transfers, but they do.

It's clearly a grey area.
  • M_Thomson
    M_Thomson Posts: 1,596 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Then equally you'd expect them to not accept BACS transfers, but they do.

It's clearly a grey area.

Thats a bit different. Bacs transfers cost the bank 7P per transaction. A branch transaction costs around 80p per transaction. So I don't think they mind Bacs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure