No Eon online saver discounts applied to your last bill when you switch

Options
Hi all

I believe I'm right in saying that Eon do not apply their online saver discounts to your last bill when you switch elsewhere. I was just wondering how they stand legally on this. I'm about to move to Scottish Power but at present I recieve a 6% discount for paying by direct debit and a further 20% for managing my account online.

Now as far am I'm concerned right up until the day I switch over to my new provider I've kept my end of the bargain... ie paid by direct debit and managed my account online so how can Eon justify not applying these discounts to my last bill?

If the 26% discount was being paid to reward me for sticking with Eon then I could understand it but as it's to do with paying by DD and managing my account online surely I should continue to benefit from them until the day I leave??

Comments

• brysiewysie
    Options
    Terms and Conditions changed in Feb and March of this year. It's covered in there.
  • malamute
    Options
    Terms and Conditions changed in Feb and March of this year. It's covered in there.

I'm afraid above correct if your leaving watch what they do on the final bill as i have changed in response to a tariff increase and despite telling them my intention to leave they applied the increase. Called them today to get this corrected will wait and see what happens.
  • Canny_mal
    Options

That's as maybe but do you get where I'm coming from? Why should discounts for paying by DD and managing your account online not be applied simply because you are switching supplier. The two things are completely seperate.

The only justification for not applying these discounts would be if I changed my payment to cash instead of DD or said I wanted to switch to paper bills instead of managing my account online.

If the discount was described as a "loyalty bonus" or a "reward for continued custom" then I could accept not getting it on my final bill before I left. That would make perfect sense.

I intend to challenge Eon on this once they provide me with my final bill.
  • BYALPHAINDIA
    Options
    Eon are total Idiots, As I have already stated in another thread.

They are cowboys, And out to make as much money out of you as possible.

I'm seriously thinking of kicking them into touch.:mad:

They were a whole lot better when they were the other company??
    Thomson 757 Man
  • BYALPHAINDIA
    Options
    Forget about any 'So called Loyalty Bonuses' etc - They don't exist in the real world.

It's all part of the sales grooming at Eon.
    Thomson 757 Man
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,092 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    malamute wrote: »
    watch what they do on the final bill as i have changed in response to a tariff increase and despite telling them my intention to leave they applied the increase. Called them today to get this corrected will wait and see what happens.

You should get the same as me. ;)

Original Message
    From: [EMAIL="sysresponse-do-not-reply@eonenergy.com"]sysresponse-do-not-reply@eonenergy.com[/EMAIL]
    Sent: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 9:53
    Subject: Your reply from E.ON

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Account number:[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hello Mr ......... and thank you for your email.I apologise for any confusion concerning the product switch letter.This was automatically sent after your earlier email concerning our price increase. My colleague changed your tariiff so that when your switch to your new supplier is complete you get the benefit of the lower priced tariff[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kind regards[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ian LedbetterCustomer Service [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, Sans-Serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]0845 302 3812[/FONT][/FONT]
  • oldwiring
    oldwiring Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fill me in! On which tariffs is the discount applied and at what dates?
  • Canny_mal
    Options
    Canny_mal wrote: »
    Hi all

I believe I'm right in saying that Eon do not apply their online saver discounts to your last bill when you switch elsewhere. I was just wondering how they stand legally on this. I'm about to move to Scottish Power but at present I recieve a 6% discount for paying by direct debit and a further 20% for managing my account online.

Now as far am I'm concerned right up until the day I switch over to my new provider I've kept my end of the bargain... ie paid by direct debit and managed my account online so how can Eon justify not applying these discounts to my last bill?

If the 26% discount was being paid to reward me for sticking with Eon then I could understand it but as it's to do with paying by DD and managing my account online surely I should continue to benefit from them until the day I leave??

Just to give an update. I got my final bill from Eon this week and as expected the Direct Debit and online account management discounts had not been applied.

I rang Eon and spoke to their billing department and stated my arguement as laid out above. At first they just stated it was in the terms and conditions but after a couple of minutes the advisor went to talk to a manager. They came back and said they would ammend the bill to give me my full discount.

As I thought Eon do not have a leg to stand on on this. I'd urge all Eon extra saver customers who are switching to another supplier to challenge them and get the final discounts you are due.
  • brysiewysie
    Options
    Well the Eon T&C's clearly say you don't get them on your final bill so if someone has agreed to ex-gratia an amount to you you're the exception, not the rule. Eon customers with final bills don't get discounts unless they're staying with Eon.
  • Canny_mal
    Canny_mal Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well the Eon T&C's clearly say you don't get them on your final bill so if someone has agreed to ex-gratia an amount to you you're the exception, not the rule. Eon customers with final bills don't get discounts unless they're staying with Eon.

But how many times do I have to say it....there is no connection between a discount your receive for paying by DD or managing your account online and you choosing to switch supplier. If you continue to pay by DD and manage your account online up until the day you switch then you are entitled to these discounts on your final bill.

Eon are just trying it on here. Surely it's clear for all to see. I started this thread a month before getting my final bill. I was sure then that if I kicked up the slightest fuss I would get my full DD and online management discounts. Sure enough after one 3 minute phone call I got the full discount applied to my final bill.

Sometimes terms and conditions are there to be challenged and this one just doesn't hold water.

Don't give these big energy companies an easy ride!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure