🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Thinking of going camping in italy

Options
Hi
Me and the clan (2adults 2kids) are thinking of a camping holiday in the Italian lakes or maybe a boating trip (August).

Never having been on one before (checked out the eurocamp website and they look great) can someone advise me on pitfalls - best place to book - drive/train/plane? and whats the best way to book a ferry or maybe even a train ticket direct?

As I said .......total novice at the going overland and camping thing, but in need of something different this year bored with the usual package deals.

Thanks in advance
Steven

Comments

• Cumbrian_Male
    Options
    European campsite of the year multiple times is Unionlido

Getting there you can fly into Venice Marco Polo with Easyjet or Venice Treviso with Ryanair.

If you want to go by coach with accomodation included (which is what we do ) have a look at Bolero

Hope this is some help.
    I have a cunning plan!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts.

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    We've done Union Lido (with Eurocamp) and recommend it. We flew Stanstead to Treviso and then bussed it to the camp. You don't need a car, everything is on site and the bus takes you to the ferry port for Venice (no cars there anyway). Doing it our way means travel light - you don't need to book the transfers and everyone is very helpful, just have to be brave! Public transport was excellent.
  • Crispy_Ambulance
    Options
    We went this year to Lake Garda with Keycamp. Campsite was Fontanelle and was right on the lake. It was a lovely site and great for kids.

Flew from Stansted with Ryanair to Verona Brescia and hired a car. Despite lots of worries about whether we would have enough luggage allowance to take all we needed for a family of 4, we had allowance to spare and still took too many clothes! Remember that Verona Brescia airport is actually called Montichiari and isn't particularly near to either city!

We bought cheap pillows from Asda before we went (were in a tent) and left them behind to fit more stuff in the bags on the flight home.

Lake Garda was lovely and it was so hot in June that we didn't venture too far, although CanevaWorld water park near Bardolino was worth a day out.

Hae a lovely time - we love camping holidays, they are so laid back and friendly!
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • Smag
    Smag Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    I must admit that I was a little wary about doing the camping thing but we love it in Italy and want to take the kids too.

It makes so much difference to make a good holiday when you can get good tips about things that come so naturally to the experienced campers and independant travellers.

I really appreciate all the help and am more and more encouraged about our summer hols.

Steven :)
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Having done a few Eurocamp holidays with our four children, I wouldn't consider any other until they're all grown up. The facilities on a campsite (playgrounds, pools, sports) are as good as or better than those found at hotels and they have so much space. They meet and play with children from all nationalities, especially in Italy where there are fewer Brits. I would suggest a campsite where there is a choice of restaurants/takeaways so you don't have to cook all the time. Ooops that's not very moneysaving, is it!
  • Smag
    Options
    Just need to find a budget airline that flies to verona or venice from manchester now. PLEASE STELLIOS BRING EASYJET TO MANCHESTER!
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    try https://www.canvasholidays.co.uk they do similar holidays...

nice option is the arrive any day..any holiday duration...makes it easier to get cheap flights/ferry if you can avoid peak saturdays.
    x x x
  • Smag
    Options
    Just got the brochure through for Canvas Holidays.

The sites do look stunning around the italian lakes. And I do love Bardolino Wine!
    The ferry system on lake Garda is fantastic too. You can spend all day on the water visiting the great ports dotted around the lake.

The more I look into it the more convinced I am. Any tips from seasoned independant travellers/campers, most welcome from this package tour turnoff.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    the mosquitos on the venice coast are murder around Union Lido, Marina de venezia and ca savio campsites so be prepared with suitable repelant.
    I've compiled a list of tour opps for European campsites at
    http://www.budgetflyer.co.uk/holidayparks.html
    If booking online with SIBLU (new name for Haven Europe) PM me on how to get 3% EXTRA CASH BACK
  • Smag
    Options
    the mosquitos on the venice coast are murder around Union Lido, Marina de venezia and ca savio campsites so be prepared with suitable repelant.
    I've compiled a list of tour opps for European campsites at
    http://www.budgetflyer.co.uk/holidayparks.html
    If booking online with SIBLU (new name for Haven Europe) PM me on how to get 3% EXTRA CASH BACK

Thanks for the tip (i hate mozzies). Will check out your website.

I quite fancy going overland via train and stopping off here and there for a night or two (may be a bit too ambitious for a first time independant traveller). If anyone can advise me if it possible to get direct tickets or would I have to book each leg seperately?

Thanks
    Steven
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills