First-time house renovation

Options

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Please press the button for Mr Grass above. He spammed yesterday too.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,857 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Please press the button for Mr Grass above. He spammed yesterday too.
    I nearly fell asleep before I could get as far as the spam button.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    I nearly fell asleep before I could get as far as the spam button.
    Even better is their post on Gardening. There, the short, semi literate post they made in the middle of the night was thanked by "another person," who'd only joined 9 minutes later! :rotfl:
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    :wave: Yoo hoo Andy-b. What a lovely surprise to see an email jump into my inbox telling me of a post from you.

Your baby is 7 :shocked: where has the time gone?

Well, I'm still here too. Old age creeping up and bringing far too many health problems which are beginning to rather limit what I can do.

My house has got to the point where the redecoration merry go round needs to start, hopefully the sun room, kitchen and maybe hall during the winter. Upstairs is still good.

I desperately need the old pebbledash, which has blown in parts, removing and renewing. Do you think I can find a decent tradesman to do it at a reasonable price? No, and I've been trying for 3 years :angry: Unfortunately not one of my son's skills but he can help in other ways.

Good to hear that you can still manage DIY despite health problems. Which Christmas did you mean :rotfl:
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    Bedroom and lounge still to be done (big ideas for the lounge) but need to figure out how to reach the ceilings as i don't do stepladders now.

A couple of possible solutions - A pair of trestles with a board on top. Not particularly sturdy and also heavy to move around. A "hop up" platform such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/aluminium-work-platform-900-x-490mm/6409p - OK if you don't need to get up high...

For my money, it is well worth investing in a scaffold tower - I purchased one from https://www.aluminium-scaffoldtowers.co.uk/diy-access-tower-sale a while back and wouldn't be without it now (other suppliers available). No problems reaching, gutters, high ceilings, or doing stuff in a stairwell. Just watch the "working height" - They assume you have a 2m reach, and the actual platform height is lower.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • spirit
    spirit Posts: 2,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi everyone

Andrew b, sorry to hear of your health issues, it sounds ideal to have your own spa to enjoy the fruits of your labours in.

This place is mostly done. Just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Finally found someone to replace the fascias, soffits and guttering. That was done last week. The guy came highly recommended from a frkend. He's certainly thorough and things have to be just so. In fact he questioned whether the conservatory replacement chap had taken off the fascia behind it and replaced. He didn't think it had and since the rest of it was rotten.......

So I got that guy back in to look. He had a bit of attitude and said he was there to replace the conservatory not anything else. Hey I'd asked him beforehand whether I should have had the fascia etc done first and he said no.

My fascia guy was here at the same time and what followed was a bit like handbags at dawn. Conservatory guy say I g her been in business over thirty years eff and the other, younger guy saying yes, you may well have been, but you haven't done it properly and all old stuff should have been ripped off first.

What he's done is stick flashing stuff to the old, paint flaking fascia board. I don't want a conservatory that will leak eventually as thewood rots. After some toing and froing, he's agreed to slide the roof back so other chap can replace the wood with upvc.

I used the remaining space in the skip to remove an old rockery. Massive stones some of em. I also discovered pretty much a whole bathroom suites smashed up and put in the ground there!

The only thing left to do then is a bit of a 're jig in the kitchen. The fascia guy will do that as is a joiner.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,823 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    andrew-b wrote: »
    Yes some sort of scaffold tower was what i had in mind. Needs to be height of the screwfix hop up platform but larger platform with sides i can pull myself up on and needs to be stable and a big enough platform that i can crawl onto it and pull myself up on the sides without the whole structure falling over.

A very quick measure up on my tower. The minimum platform height is around 150mm with 240mm increments upwards. With the side rails in place, plenty of strength to haul yourself up on. The diagonal braces add further rigidity if you need a higher platform height. Even the basic package is very versatile in set up and working heights.

Most of the time I just need a platform around 600mm off the ground - For this, I clip the handrails in place and then fit the deck board. Much of the time not bothering about cross bracing. Still a sturdy and rigid structure.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    The most trendy way to transform your house and add a statement to your rooms is by restyling your interior with the help of wallpapers this particular season.

Wallpaper designs can easily convey the mood😍. But with such a beautiful wallpaper designs to choose, from plain to patterned, textured to metallic, photographic to holographic, it’s more important to know where we should start.

Yes, choosing the best wallpaper for your living area can be a daunting task without any research.

So, here we are with the few Tips for choosing the right wallpaper and help you smart shop:

Always think about how you are going to use your space and walls of the room to create your mood and then look for different colors and wallpaper patterns that goes well. Wallpapers generally have a powerful effect over the way you feel so design components are preferably important.
    Be consistent with the style of your space and choose the pattern accordingly (retro, modern, vintage, victorian etc) that works pretty well with your mortar and bricks.
    Wallpapers are not forever. Most wallpapers are easily stripped and can be removed easily whenever you want.
    Always think and analyse carefully on how you would use bold colors, patterns and lines as these may look great in a cafe or a restaurant. If they are in your living area it can bring overcrowding effect for you.
    Take a bigger sample wallpaper that you want to add on the wall and hang it for almost a week. If you love it then never refrain yourself from buying it.

Bit weird?
  • cherryblossomzel
    Options
    SG27 wrote: »
    Bit weird?

Bizarre advertising, I think. similar post on a different board, which I think has since been removed.
  • LoveOurPlanet
    Options
    I just want to throw my two-cents in here and advise that whatever work you do on your home, please be mindful of where it goes once it has left your front door. If you use a man-in-a-van service make sure that they are licenced and reviewed well. Fly-tipping on farms is a real problem because horrible people operate illegal (and often cheap) removal services and then dump the items on our countryside to avoid landfill tax. Recycle/sell what you can before resorting to throwing things away.

Ok preaching done - enjoy your new home and congratulations!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback