locking wheel nuts - advice

Options
13»

Comments

• chrisyd
    chrisyd Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    I had the same problem (well lost the key). Anyway, took it down to my local tyre place and they just used a special tool to break the locking nut (cost me £10 to remove all 4). One thing he did say was not to bother with locking nuts (unless you have expensive alloys) as alloy wheels are so common on cars now that one no nicks them anymore. If you have got expensive wheels then anyone with the right equipement can remove the locking nuts.

Hope this helps
  • Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    waynedance wrote: »
    would cost about £45-60 to remove a set of nuts at my garage.

I do not have locking nuts on my car, if they want the wheels they will take them but rather they did not damage the hubs etc..........hence no lockers.

£45+!!!

Robbing Barstewards.

Take ya car in for a tyre change say, guarantee if you "forget" to give them your locking key they will have no problem removing it - and replacing the locking bolt without damage.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    azharc wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks to above member for mentioning Dynomec. I have same problem with Vauxhall Omega. No-one wanted to touch it not even Vauxhall, Formula 1, KwikFit etc. I ran around in circles for weeks. However the guys at Dynomec were very helpful. It costs about 130 quid to get a kit to do it.. It has 3 parts - and one of those is a softish metal thing you ram into the flowery-shaped locked nut. It then wedges itself in and you can then unlock the nut. You can then use the same pice of metal to do the other nuts. It will also work on one more car and then you have to buy a niew metal piece costing fiver. Guys at Dynomec gave me a few numbers of local garages that have the toolk,it, but best of all if you're living close to Castleford WF10 3EW, you can take your car there and they will undo four nuts for 20 quid. Prices might vary so be adised in advance. Their phone number is 01977 520666. I will try to take my car there and if any problems will post some more info here. Good luck. By the way, make sure you get a new set of replacement locking nuts with a key before you go there ;) .
    Superb.
    Visiting the man tomorrow to get a bolt out of a 306 Meridian alloy.
    Many thanks for the heads up on that one.

:spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

When you remove them replace them with normal wheel studs, these locking things are a waste of time and money
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    chrisyd wrote: »
    I had the same problem (well lost the key). Anyway, took it down to my local tyre place and they just used a special tool to break the locking nut (cost me £10 to remove all 4). One thing he did say was not to bother with locking nuts (unless you have expensive alloys) as alloy wheels are so common on cars now that one no nicks them anymore. If you have got expensive wheels then anyone with the right equipement can remove the locking nuts.

Hope this helps

Exactly what I have been saying here for ages.
  • sassy_one
    sassy_one Posts: 2,685 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had something like this a while ago after Cr*pFit AKA KwikFit used a air compressed gun to do all my locking wheel nuts up, and snapped they locking wheel nut key.

Didn't know at the time they did it as they never said anything and just put the key back, however when I went for a new tyre I was informed the key was useless and broke.

Luckily a friend knows a lot about cars and got the locking nuts off within half hour, just by using a wrench

Had to buy a new set from Ford, £40 so total cost was only £40
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport