Beating NIEs Price Increase

I thought I would share this tip which sprung to mind while shopping in Tesco the other day. I bought a timer device for £3 which I am using to turn the power off on some of my electrical items when I am at work or during the night when I am asleep.

I have attached it to the telephone and wireless router which turns them off during the day while at work and at night while in bed. Yes you could say just switch them off manually but at least you do not have to worry about forgetting.

I think I will also get another for my sky box as well. Hopefully it will save me a few pounds.
:hello:v :money:

Comments

• rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    utomatically switches itself off at night ...somehow!
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • hnisc wrote: »
    I thought I would share this tip which sprung to mind while shopping in Tesco the other day. I bought a timer device for £3 which I am using to turn the power off on some of my electrical items when I am at work or during the night when I am asleep.

I have attached it to the telephone and wireless router which turns them off during the day while at work and at night while in bed. Yes you could say just switch them off manually but at least you do not have to worry about forgetting.

I think I will also get another for my sky box as well. Hopefully it will save me a few pounds.

The phone and wireless router use very little power, probably not much different to the amount of power the switch uses to run the clock. Don't know if theres much of a saving to be made here but fair play to you.

Where a timer switch would be especially useful would be to switch off all of the TV/Hifi equipment in the house at night so they don't burn power on standby.
  • doelani
    doelani Posts: 2,576 Forumite
    yorkie98 wrote: »
    Where a timer switch would be especially useful would be to switch off all of the TV/Hifi equipment in the house at night so they don't burn power on standby.

I agree, standy seems to be the thing people forget about in my house. Good to see the timer cheap though, will have to look next time in tesco
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb :T
  • LMac
    LMac Posts: 274 Forumite
    Thank you!

I just got a bill for £155 :eek:- first bill in my new house and my wee flat I managed on £20 per month. Though daughter has developed love of the electric shower in this place, she will have a timer set from now on!

I try to remember to turn stuff off but it doesnt alway work, so this is great - Ill look out for them...off to find out about alternatives to leaving all the hall lights on for dd to get downstairs to use loo in middle of the night...
  • Dazzieb
    Dazzieb Posts: 23 Forumite
    I use a few of these round the home and I think they are great (One Click sockets and Power Strips).

If you have the TV plugged into the primary socket and all of your other devices into the remainder they all switch off when you turn the TV off and stay off until you put the TV back on (for example). The primary socket controls the rest of the strip so may be of some use around the rest of the house too.

They're not that cheap but I'm sure they will pay for themselves in no time with the latest hike in prices!
  • miserly_mum
    miserly_mum Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    doelani wrote: »
    I agree, standy seems to be the thing people forget about in my house. Good to see the timer cheap though, will have to look next time in tesco

Asda are doing the timers for £3.24.

After reading this thread this morning I went and got 2 for my washing machine and tumble dryer to take advantage of the cheap rate electric now i'm on Powershift.
    How does a brown cow give white milk, when it only eats green grass?
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have these http://www.standbybuster.com/
    All my tv and hifi is on a power surge box and that's plugged into this. When I go to bed at night I hit one switch and off goes the lot. Same with all the computer bits and bobs.

I use these around the house because all these powersurge protectors are hidden away behind desks and units. I have the remote beside my bed and when I turn the lamp out I just hit one button to ensure theres not an appliance left on over night in standy - it has an impressive range
  • Dazzieb
    Dazzieb Posts: 23 Forumite
    Nice one suki1964, not seen those before, and reasonably priced too. May have to get myself some.
  • booklover
    booklover Posts: 897 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Our direct debit was £36 per month and it has increased to £49!

We are a family of 3 (1 teenage son) and out all day and have the usual electrical items, eg dishwasher used about every 2 days, washing machine every day and tumble dryer about 3 hours a week and 3 PCs/laptops.

I am really interested in hearing what other people pay. Do you think what we pay is reasonable?

Many thanks in advance :A

Fiona
  • I have exactly the same setup as you 1 teenager, out all day etc etc
    2 Pc's, PS3 constantly on.......
    I use the power card and have worked out at about £1.50 per day, so approx £45 per month
    Trying now to use as little as possible between 4 and 7 PM
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport