October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.2K replies 103.6K views

Replies

• I went to Aldi the other day and bought fruit - none of the sensation 6 were fruit -all veg this time!
    Had to pick up a few bits from Mr T yesterday as next delivery is booked for Monday and we didn't seem to have anything left - spent £32 and struggled to see how (perhaps it was the cream cakes!) - but on looking at what we bought I actually have 6 meals there. After Mondays delivery I think we will only need milk and fruit for the last few days. So far we have spent £234.77/£300 with about £50 worth in Mondays order - it is going to be close!!!!
    I am also keeping an 'other' spends list to keep track. Last month we spent £514 and struggle to see where. This month we have spent £126 and most of that was on baby essentials and christmas presents.
    I am loving this challenge! This is the first month in I can't remember how long where we are going to have money left at the end of the month!
    Thanks to everyone for your support.
    First Direct Loan @ 7.9% £13,076.03/£20,250
    Mint CC @ 18.9% £3030.29/£3100 Virgin CC @ 34.9% £651.46/£2700 Tesco CC @ 0% 1366/1500

Proud to be dealing with my debts :D - Official DFW Nerd No. 250
  • Sorry to all but I feel like I must shout this out:D !!!

£136 out of £200 FOR THE WHOLE MONTH!!!:j :j :j :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: I am so chuffed with myself, never thought I could get it that low!

;) Just in case you dont know thats for a family of 5 plus 2 cats and 2 dogs and all cleaning products,toiletries and packet lunches (for 3 kids + dh:D ):j
    JAN GC- £155.77 out of £200:D FEB GC £197.31 out of £180:o. MARCH GC - out of £200
  • Well done Bertiebots:T !!!!

I have a conundrum.....We have run out of bread & rolls this week, and I have no time to get to the supermarket (or make any - not that DH likes my HM bread & rolls anyhow :cry: )....so DH is taking his sandwich fillings to work and buying unfilled rolls from a corner-shop on his way in to work. This means (although he hasn't said anything) that he's paying for them out of his 'pocket money' rather than the grocery budget. Should I give him the money for them and include it in my grocery spends? Normally I would bulk-buy rolls at the supermarket and freeze them, which would be a lot cheaper....

I could, of course, not mention it to him and see how long it takes DH to cotton on - saving myself a few quid on the monthly budget - but that would be dishonest wouldn't it?!? ;)
    The best advice you can give your children: "Take responsibility for your own actions...and always Read the Small Print!"
    ..."Mind yer a*se on the step!"
    TTC with FI - RIP my 2 MC Angels - 3rd full ICSI starts May/June 2009 - BFP!!! Please let it be 'third time lucky'..... EDD 7th March 2010.
  • 1kg of bananas : 50p
    1kg of apples : 50p

The stall owner said that they were "odds and ends" ...bargain.
    Buy for value not cost.
    Feb Grocery = £55.87 / 80
  • Hi guys, have been very impressed with all your stories about bulking out food and I think it's about time I started to get on board with that as well.

I'm definitely going to start adding lentils, not so sure about the oats but willing to give them a go! Although what I want to ask is what meat:lentil/oat ratio do you use?
    I read that someone (sorry can't remember who!) gor 15 portions out of a 400g pack of mince!!! Considering I usually get 4 portions out of a 400g pack that must have been some serious bulking!
    I don't think I'm going to go that far (at least to begin with!) so could anyone recommend a good amount of lentils to start off with?

Also I have some lovely (woopsied) tiger prawns in the freezer that I bought a while ago and really need to think about using! I was considering a curry but have decided against it as I don't want to mask the taste of the prawns so much.
    Any suggestions as to what to do with them?
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    ... I could, of course, not mention it to him and see how long it takes DH to cotton on - saving myself a few quid on the monthly budget - but that would be dishonest wouldn't it?!? ;)

If he's helpful and supportive of the budgeting I would probably give him the money, but if he's a bit of a spendthrift I wouldn't bother!! :D
    .... I'm definitely going to start adding lentils, not so sure about the oats but willing to give them a go! Although what I want to ask is what meat:lentil/oat ratio do you use? ...

I suggest you start by adding a small ratio of lentils (maybe a quarter lentils?) and then increase till you get to your and your family's taste limits, not that lentils taste unpleasant but some dh's and families might object to losing meat content and best to adjust them gradually :D you can bulk out with lots of veggies too, minced if necessary to disguise them

cant help with prawns, sorry, I dont eat them as I'm a crab - it would be cannibalism :rotfl:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although what I want to ask is what meat:lentil/oat ratio do you use?
    I read that someone (sorry can't remember who!) gor 15 portions out of a 400g pack of mince!!! Considering I usually get 4 portions out of a 400g pack that must have been some serious bulking!
    I use the Tesco frozen value mince, and was using 350-375g of that to make a chille or bolognese sauce. When I found I could serve the three of us from that and freeze a fourth portion I tried dropping to 280-300g mince for 3 of us, but the blokes complained they were still hungry.

The last Chille I made I used 250g mince and 50g lentils, along with 2 tins of Kidney beans instead of 1 but stuck to one tin of tomatoes, and that made 6 portions !!!!
    Cheryl
    Grocery Budget : January £155. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
    Grocery Budget : 2021 £1825. Spent £33.75 in shops + £0.00 from stocks = £32.45
  • OrkneyStarOrkneyStar Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys, have been very impressed with all your stories about bulking out food and I think it's about time I started to get on board with that as well.

I'm definitely going to start adding lentils, not so sure about the oats but willing to give them a go! Although what I want to ask is what meat:lentil/oat ratio do you use?
    I don't think I'm going to go that far (at least to begin with!) so could anyone recommend a good amount of lentils to start off with?

Also I have some lovely (woopsied) tiger prawns in the freezer that I bought a while ago and really need to think about using! I was considering a curry but have decided against it as I don't want to mask the taste of the prawns so much.
    Any suggestions as to what to do with them?
    Just to say, although I am trying to be MS'ing as possible, I just don't like to bulk mince out with anything other than nice veggies!
    We love local mince and tatties (I tend to buy local good quality steak mince for this)- to bulk it we add lots of local carrots and lovely onion. Lentils or oats in just spoil it IMHO. We also have lots of gravy and a bit chunk of mash to use it up. This way I get approx 4 adult portions and 2 DS sized (maybe 1 adult port) from 225g of mince.
    For spag bol, chilli, etc I buy Scottish steak mince, bulk again with onions, carrots, mushrooms, kidney beans (for chilli), courgettes, maybe any other veg thats lurking. Again I get enough mince to make 4 portions of lasagne, 4 portions of chilli or maybe 4-5 portions of spag bol from a 225-250g pack.
    Obviously loads of people swear by buling with oats/lentils but I prefer the veg bulking option. Also I would not buy value mince- far to much fat in it and TBH I like to support the local farmers PLUS it taste like a treat when its not too expensive to make. I have bought value chicken and its ok, but move away from other value meats as to me they are not value for money really!
    Hth someone.
    Also just to say Scottish Coop are doing 9 free range eggs for £1.41. I have been impressed with our Coop recently, a huge cabbage only cost 50p and the local carrots are great too :).
    Just been meal planning- here is the link to this weeks meal plans (thanks to angelnikki for starting it!).
    x
    :heartpuls :heartpuls :heartpuls
  • Hi Everyone, ive not posted for ages and ages.

ive just updated my siggy and im not doing too bad so far this month, about £200, this has included takeaways and several snacks out.... im still living of the freezer form last month as i overspent by about £60 i reckon.. hopefully i will come under this month as so far ive still got several meals in the freezer and stuff in the cuboards. ive also had to feed several visitors agin this month. but no more students so im hoping to reduce my shopping bill next month well we will see.

Im starting to realise that i eat out at least twice a week, mainly at asda when im shopping, each time is about £4-£5 which takes a huge chunk out of my budget. i find it stressful going around asda with a 3yr old and a 1yr old trying to feed them in the trolley. i could go at night but previously found that the shop runs low on all the value range so i spend a lot more and i rarely find bananas in the evenings and so have to make extra shopping trips. i know that i need to get organised and take more snacks etc with me. ive also brought a few baby jars this month, this is something i had completely stopped doing over the last couple of months but little one got ill and is now stroppy at meal times because he finds it easy to not chew!!! I just need to get him back on track and i need to prepare more easy meals for hi. more cooking....

well thats it for me im not uptodate with the best bargains at the mo. im tryting to avoid shopping unless i need something. im still struggling with meal planning and tend to just grab some meat from the freezer everynight for the next day. works most of the time only a couple of chipshop nights but i would like to get on with meal planning.

anyway ive gone on enough. i hope everyones doing ok. this is not easy especially with all the prices going up all the time. take care karen
  • cazspatchcazspatch Forumite
    58 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi all could i please have some advice?

For the last two weeks i have tried to shop O/S style as i am desperate to get my shopping bill down. Well need to get all bills down to start paying off the debt (but one step at a time!)

However my bills are still a large £60-£70 a week for 2 adults a dog and cat!!

Where am i going wrong - i am cooking from scatch and freezing leftovers or having for lunch next day??

I am also still finding i need to pop to the shops in the week!!

I am soooo confused (very easy for me LOL)

Any help would be great thanks xx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals