PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Well have spent £60 on grocery shopping in supermarkets, but today have spent £13 in a farmers veg shop, bought a 56kg sack of wiljas for £3.50, bargain and a 20kg sack of carrots for £1.50 they are misshaped and look sad but taste alright. Added to that are bananas, turnips, apples and clementines other veg and free range eggs.
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • Blairweech
    Blairweech Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just been to Tesco and spent £38.24 - that included £6 worth of socks though. HOWEVER, out of that only £11.60 was actually on my list or stuff that I *needed*. :mad:

Got 4 bags of parsnips on half price - will freeze ready for winter. 4 bags of cookers on BOGOF, 2 bags of carrots half price, 10 corner yoghurts (5 for £1), and a bag of chicken fillets on whoopsie half price.

I also had a jolly good look at the pasta salads and bought all the ingredients to make my own. I WILL do it

Looking round, pretty much all of the 'market value' range have discontinued above the SEL and what is not being discontinued is not in stock. I will be very dissapointed if Mr T stop doing Value, I will have to consider shopping in Asda instead - it could easily double - if not triple my shopping bill without Value.
    I am not in a very good place for supermarkets, if I go one way at the end of my road I go to Tesco, if I go the other way I go to Morrsions (waste of time - stocked for the posh Tavistock clientele) and Somerfield (great for special offer but not for a main shop)

Spending diary is not going too good, have missed out the whole week :rolleyes: I also wanted to do a food waste diary but keep forgetting. There's always next month.

P.S. I am glad the thread does not seem to be growing as fast this month - means I can actually keep up and want to carry on with the challenge
    We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Options
    Just popped on to update my sig,
    Have been to Morries and for once managed to be there whin they were reducing stuff. Picked up:-
    • Porkinsons sausages - 39p
    • Chicken and Bacon pasta salad - 9p
    • Mini onion baghis - 9p
    • 250g Smoked Back Bacon - 3 x 25p (had been £2.36 each)
    • Breaded stuffed jalepenos - 2 x 19p (had been 2 for £5)
    Also went to lidl and picked up milk 30% off so thats in the freezer now.

Nice to get woopsies for a change. Shopping next week will be mainly for DS who is on his own in the house for a week from Sat. as OH and I are off to Norfolk :j

Roast Pork due out of the oven any time now so I should go cook.
    Hope everyone has had a good weekend.
  • lainz
    lainz Posts: 400 Forumite
    Options
    Well reporting in

Am v close to budget and will be going over as I cannot help myself stocking up (there's still an offer on the cats food - so will get a couple more packets!:D )

I also have some Tesco £4 off £40 spend (every week until mid Nov) which I will be using sparingly, I will probably go in the week as I need to get Brandy and dried fruit for xmas cake, so that'll blow the budget:rolleyes: , only 16 days to pay day :rotfl:

I've been a bit better this month and following my meal plan a bit more and there is a smidge of space in the freezer :p , just need to now get back on the weightloss wagon to lose a few lb before chrimbo (so I can put it all back on :rotfl: )

Keep on going everyone, we will outwit the supermarkets!
  • inamess200
    Options
    Well I have shopped this weekend and have enough food to last well into the end of October - I just need to wean myself and the family off of all the extras!!

Since I started this challenge my bills have come down a lot and after I got my slow cooker last weekend I canot believe how organised I have got - I managed to make 500g of mince that used to do 4 of us ( I'm not keen on fried mince) do 5 of us for two meals with the help of a couple of tins of value tomatoes and lentils. Then I made a cheap chicken (sorry needs must ) last 2 days (again done in the slow cooker ) again never heard of. I did spend a bit more yesterday as we had Jamies fish pie (which was yum) and today we have his mince wellington ( i reckon there is enough for 2 meals ) and I have 2 value turkey drumsticks (1.26 each) bubbling away in the sc so I can strip the meat and make two days of meals!! I am loving the feeling of control and cooking again - just need to get the weight under control now!!!

I have weaned my DD11 off of oatso simple to value porrige oats with value syrup although DD2 still will only eat chocolate ready brek so have a way to go with her. I think the next ebay (SC cost me 4.21 and was half an hour away to collect) or freecycle purchase will be a bread maker.
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    £31.19 so far for me this month, this was last night as mainly needed packed lunch items have got enough for around 2 weeks (fingers crossed)

Fi x
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • fizzel81
    fizzel81 Posts: 1,623 Forumite
    Options
    oh manybe not lol im not on the challenge this month

runs off to sob lol:confused:
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • Flylady_Flower
    Options
    inamess200 wrote: »
    DD2 still will only eat chocolate ready brek so have a way to go with her.
    Have you tried shops own ready brek with a spoonful (or 2) of instant drinking chocolate mixed in with the milk? DS sometimes has this if he's in the mood, saves me a fortune on these expensive chocolate breakfasts and not as much sugar either...
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fizzel81 wrote: »
    oh manybe not lol im not on the challenge this month

runs off to sob lol:confused:

Oh fizzel,

Don't cry! <<hugs>>

There are so many people taking part in the challenge now, that for Mrs M to keep track we need to post our budgets/totals in RED so that they're easily noticed.

I'm sure Mrs M will add you as soon as she's seen your target.

Pink
  • mumzyof2
    mumzyof2 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    Options
    Good Evening Everyone, hope everyone is okay.

I have put a Asda delivery in to get delievered tomorrow. Its around £43 even though my target is £25 a week but should last me 2 weeks. So this week can you put me down for £50 for 2 weeks, starting tomorrow till 31st October.

I came in under target this week with £12.32

I made chochlate fudge cake other day but didnt put the fudge in middle because i had ot go out so really it was just a chochlate cake but everyone likes it. I will make it again.

Take Care All
    Sealed Pot dec 08 - dec 09 so far £27.67, Live off £4k Spent £330.20 GC £1,200 for 2009 Spent £50.78 PaD so far £650.07
    Debts: L/woods £154.00 C/One PAID O/D £649.90 Next £299.95 O/D PAID Gas £72.60 Electric £155.73 Mum £640.00 Orange £490.32
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure