We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Road Tax renewal question

Options
2»

Comments

• big_mortgage
    Options
    Wig,

I had no intention of claiming the refund, I can't keep the car off road and SORN it, (I need it too!) and taking off a few hours earlier, it would not get the post in time? :confused:

It's a current band D car, so £79.75 for 6 mths. The £7.25 (ie 10% of the full year at £145/2, is added on the the 6 mth rate. This would not be refunded. I think).

so

79.75 -7.25 = £72.50

£72.50/6 = £12.08, ok so i miscalculated :o

mmm that's worth having. I don't know what to do now.
  • p00pieb0tt0m
    Options
    You'll need the registration document(log book), insurance(valid when the disc starts) and MOT(if car is old enough). No other form is needed at a post office.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    It's simple, you buy a new disc on the 28th Feb (or before that if your time is tight on the 28th) AT some point on the evening of the 28th Feb (it's a Saturday) you swap the discs on your car, you fill in a V14 -dated 28th Feb- and attach the old disc. You post the envelope to the DVLA.

Your car can remain on the road, you can drive it around if you want to, no-one will know or care that you have a disc that starts from midnight. The car will not flag to the police as being untaxed because it is taxed.

I did this on 30th Sept this week, the only difference for me was I drove to the DVLA office, before I went in I swapped the disc on my windscreen. I handed in my V14 and drove home with my new disc I parked my car outside my house (on the street) and it was there until midnight -at which point it became 100% road legal again, it remained there until the morning..

I suggest you do the same, there is no real need to panic about the car not displaying properly in those last 6 hours of the final day of the month. IMHO.

Also you mentioned it not arriving in the post on time. Flutterby was incorrect above, I corrected him/her the criteria for a refund is that it is POSTED on or before the last day of the month. So you can pop into a post office on the 28th, buy a new disc beginning on 1st March, take a V14 tax refund form fill it in stick your old disc to the form and send it to DVLA over the counter at the PO, asking for proof of sending (which is free of charge), to cover yourself 100% you could also photocopy the V14 before you send it.

Just another example of our inflexible crazy VED system we have.
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    I saw this on Gov site
    How much refund you’ll get

A refund is paid for each full month left to run on the tax disc at the time you apply for a refund. If you have a six-month tax disc, you paid an extra ten percent handling charge at the time of purchase. This is not included as part of your refund. An administration fee of £7 is charged where the tax disc has not been surrendered.
    I think that's crazy charging 10% extra How do they justify charging *for the same service*
    £20, band G
    £10.50 band F
    £7.25 band D
    £6 band C

That's charging more than 3 times as much for buying 6mo band G compared to band C. It used to be a flat £5 extra no matter what band it was.

I also worked out what the £7 fee is when no tax disc is surrendered, It means if you lose your disc you have the option of a duplicate or a refund the fee for either will be £7.
  • JPS
    JPS Posts: 1,402 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just an update for anyone that does not know.....:D

Great news for people that were preparing to spend anything up to £200+ EXTRA on their car tax next year, it was stated in the Pre-Budget Report today that there would be a maximum increase of £5 next year, and a maximum of £30 the following year. I think this is fantastic news for car owners with larger engines. This will now stop a lot of cars being made "worthless" due to stupid road tax costs.

"Although the car tax changes were aimed at hitting gas guzzlers, many mid-range family cars, such as a Ford Mondeo, would have seen road tax rise from £210 this year to £300 next year and £310 in 2010. This will now be limited to £215 and £245 in 2009 and 2010, repectively."

:D
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport