Road Tax renewal question

Options
If my current road tax were to expire on 31st March 2009 and I renew on or before that date, do I pay the rate for 2008-09, or the new rate for 2009-10 ?

Comments

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You will pay the rate applicable to the period starting 1 April.
  • illuminate
    Options
    LandyAndy wrote: »
    You will pay the rate applicable to the period starting 1 April.

Cheers....

what about refunding my disc a month or 2 earlier, then renewing on 1st March ?....

...or are they gonna see that one coming ?
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Options
    illuminate wrote: »
    Cheers....

what about refunding my disc a month or 2 earlier, then renewing on 1st March ?....

...or are they gonna see that one coming ?

You can do that. They will only refund full months so send your refund form on the 31st January or 28th February.

I'm sure you can do this but I'd like it confirmed...........
    Can you go to the PO and buy a new disc for the following month, even while you have your existing disc that is valid for another 6 months. So you have 2 discs for your car, then you send in the old one for a refund?
  • big_mortgage
    Options
    Wig wrote: »
    Can you go to the PO and buy a new disc for the following month, even while you have your existing disc that is valid for another 6 months. So you have 2 discs for your car, then you send in the old one for a refund?

Yes I would also like to know this. I am not able to SORN my car, and have just bought 6 months :o , not realising I will now be the first to buy at the higher rate. If I had known I would have bought 12. :mad:I guess you are not able to do this online, as the computer will know and say 'NO'
  • flutterbyuk25
    flutterbyuk25 Posts: 7,009 Forumite
    Options
    Wig wrote: »
    You can do that. They will only refund full months so send your refund form on the 31st January or 28th February.

Yes you can buy another tax disc whilst you already have one in force. The post office may try and stop you/or just point it out to you but there's nothing wrong with doing it.

The best thing would be to buy a new 12 month disc end of Feb 2009 to start March 1st. Then if possible keep car off road for a day or so, whilst you are returning your original disc for a refund of any months remaining on V14. Form needs to be received by DVLA (Swansea or local branch) by 1st of the month to claim refund for that month, (eg 1st March to claim March back). Then you won't be paying double for any month and you will benefit from the cheaper rates before the increase.

HTH

x
    * Rainbow baby boy born 9th August 2016 *

* Slimming World follower (I breastfeed so get 6 hex's!) *
  • catwoman150
    Options
    You can now apply for your car tax on the 5th of the month instead of the 15th of the month so you might be able to but it online before the budget comes into effect. This does depend on when you get your letter for your renewal tax disc.
    cross stitch cafe #90 UFO's 6 to finish in 2013, and loads of new kits to boot
    Refunded bank overdraft charges £915 :j
    SPC 2007-2008 #078 aim £500-£341.67
    SPC 2011-2012 #078 aim £500-£426.42
    SPC 2012-2013 #078aim £500 - TBC
  • Wig
    Options
    I bought another disc to start 1st October whilst I had my current disc on the 30th September @ post office. No problems, actually she did ask me "have you just bought the car?' So I guess her computer might have told her 'already taxed', and she asked if the person on the V5 was correct - to which I said 'Yes'. So yes you can do it but they may ask you some questions to confirm.

I then popped down to the local DVLA office and handed in my V14 for a refund on the 30th, & got a reciept - they will send cheque later.

To Big Mortgage
    these are the rates for 2009
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/7293011.stm

If yours increases significantly you can buy a new disc to start 1st March 2009 and post or hand in your old disc on the 28th February 2009 to get a 1 month refund.
  • Wig
    Options
    Yes you can buy another tax disc whilst you already have one in force. The post office may try and stop you/or just point it out to you but there's nothing wrong with doing it.

The best thing would be to buy a new 12 month disc end of Feb 2009 to start March 1st. Then if possible keep car off road for a day or so, whilst you are returning your original disc for a refund of any months remaining on V14. Form needs to be received by DVLA (Swansea or local branch) by 1st of the month to claim refund for that month, (eg 1st March to claim March back). Then you won't be paying double for any month and you will benefit from the cheaper rates before the increase

Hi thanks for that, but there is one error there. The form has to be sent before the end of the month, to get a refund of the following months. So has to be posted or handed in to local office on or before the last day of the month. You can post it on the evening of the last day (make sure you date the form correctly for the last day of the month) so even though Swansea will recive it a day or 2 later the form is dated for the last day, it will be ok, (I've done this before). It would be best to post it at a post office and ask for proof of posting. I have also used a 2nd class stamp on the last day of the month and still recieved my VED refund from DVLA.
  • big_mortgage
    Options
    Thanks Wig,

I will do that. I am unable to keep my car off the road, so will just buy the new tax. The refund is £4.83 something, whilst I am cross at myself for calculating the dates wrong, it will save £17.92 from the additional £30 increase, taking into account the extra I have paid for the six months now.

The extra £4.83 might help Gordan out a bit :rotfl: ;)
  • Wig
    Options
    Whilst technically you are committing an offense of failing to display a valid tax disc, it would only be for a few hours (until midnight) on the evening of 28th Feb 2009, and you would be displaying your new disc expiring 28th Feb 2010. It's highly unlikely that anyone will take a close look at the disc you are displaying.

If I were you, I'd send the V14 for a refund even if you only get a few pounds. But how is it only 4.83? The minimum VED for a car for 6 months is Band 'C' £66 - £55 alternative fuel, so your refund would be £10 or £8.33 if alt fueled.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure